HOPPERS DOLPHIN SHARK WHALE SEAL.......

Waterway craft and trade on the Aire & Calder, South Yorkshire and Trent systems

HOPPERS DOLPHIN SHARK WHALE SEAL.......

Postby debbierosiealice » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:05 am

I am trying to find more information about powered mud hoppers built c1960, a series of 6, I believe, or with the names of marine life.
In particular "Dolphin" British Waterways fleet number 80285 - where she was built, when sold etc.
National Historic Ships UK are interested to find more on these lost work vessels
Deb
debbierosiealice

Re: HOPPERS DOLPHIN SHARK WHALE SEAL.......

Postby Whickham » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 am

I'm surprised no one has managed to find details of these "mud hoppers" for Deb. However a search on the web brings up the following, which I presume Deb has already seen:

"DOLPHIN is a former British Waterways powered hopper, believed to have been built in 1960 by Camplings, Goole. What is believed to be DOLPHIN's British Waterways fleet number, 80285, is marked on the bow sides of DOLPHIN. In 2004, she ceased to work and was sold at auction. C.2011, she was converted into a houseboat and is currently in a well maintained condition.

It is believed that twelve powered Hoppers were commissioned by BW in 1960. Six of these vessels were given astrological names including SUN, URANUS, and MARS. The other six were given marine names including WHALE, SEAL, SHARK and DOLPHIN. The vessels were not all the same size, due to the differences between the waterways where they were destined to work. It is understood that some of these vessels have been scrapped, though SUN is now at the Beverley Barge Preservation Society and SEAL was last seen at Hebden Bridge in a poor condition. The whereabouts of the other vessels are unknown."

Now a houseboat on the Kennet and Avon Canal.
2938_DOLPHIN_1.jpg
Photo by Shipshape Network

2938_DOLPHIN_2.jpg
Photo by Shipshape Network

See: http://www.shipshapenetwork.org.uk/regi ... 38/dolphin
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks Dave, I did ask Les Reid who has a preserved barge at Newark and has worked the Trent/Humber area but he could not recall any with these names working in this region.
I have MARS on my rather thin Campling list, built 1960 so now can add DOLPHIN it seems.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby debbierosiealice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you for replying, for some reason I've only just seen them!
The link to Historic Ships pleases me as I submitted information to the register but never had any confirmation from there that Dolphin received certification. I was told that it couldn't be certified without the boat builder's details, which I've been unable to find out.
Accordingly, the information and photos shown are actually what I submitted to them.
Since then I've been told by a researcher for Historic Narrow Boat Club that "Dolphin" BW asset no 80285 was built 1946 at a cost of £1075. But no further information as being a broad beam boat it was not of interest to the club.
The search continues.
Regards
Deb
debbierosiealice

Return to Inland Waterways of the Humber and Trent