HUMBER PRINCESS

Waterway craft and trade on the Aire & Calder, South Yorkshire and Trent systems

HUMBER PRINCESS

Postby Patrick Hill » Thu May 17, 2012 6:45 pm

I met a couple from Rotherham yesterday near the mouth of the River Hull who are interested in all the Yorkshire waterways. Christine Richardson sent me these photos of HUMBER PRINCESS on one of her regular delivery runs to Rotherham..

As promised yesterday, as we watched Humber Princess wallowing on the mud, I've attached three pictures of her at Rotherham on waters of different dimensions . She's on the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation (SSYN) which follows the valley of the River Don.

Humber Humber Princess (1).jpg

No.1. Going upstream, leaving Aldwarke Lock. Before her stern clears the lock chamber she has to aim her bows for the bridge in picture No.2, which requires her wheelhouse to be lowered at the same time. Immediately beyond the bridge is a sharp bend to the left.

Humber Princess (2).jpg

No.3. At her destination in the middle of Rotherham, discharging various types of oil, which are stored in the tanks on the right of the picture, then mixed to various requirements. The SSYN was designed for commercial vessels to go up to a turning point at Rotherham, but Princess goes beyond there. As you can see she can't turn at the discharge point, so she has to back down to the turning point, which takes about 15mins carefully passing about 40 moored small craft. We couldn't live with our boat being there!

Humber Princess (3).jpg
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Re: HUMBER PRINCESS

Postby northeast » Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Very interesting to see her in the confines of the canals instead of in the wide Humber!

See details at: viewtopic.php?f=163&t=19404
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Humbersmith1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Shifting from Alex to King on October 4th. Now has a Hughes Marine logo and has possibly undergone some form of conversion in connection with Greenport?

HumberPrincess~Hull~041016a.JPG

Cheers

Simon
Humbersmith1

Postby Humbersmith1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm

According to Canalworld.net:

'Princess' is, I was told, being (or has been) shortened and converted into a crane boat for Hughes Marine.

Cheers

Simon
Humbersmith1

Return to Inland Waterways of the Humber and Trent