FRANCIS WHITBOURN

Lifeboats past and present between Berwick and Grimsby

FRANCIS WHITBOURN

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:12 pm

francis-whitbourn.jpg
FRANCIS WHITBOURN was stationed at Seaton Carew from 1908 to 1922. It was launched on service at Seaton three times and saved sixteen lives. She cost £802.00 and measured 3’5 x 8’6 and weighed 3 tons 15 cwt. My thanks to Owen Corrigan for allowing me to use this photograph from his collection.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Re: FRANCIS WHITBOURN

Postby northeast » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:21 pm

That's a corker (literally)!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:54 am

Stan, I appreciate that the Seafront at Seaton has changed dramatically since those days, any idea where the Lifeboat House was/is? I am afraid barring for a couple of trips to the "Memories" Cafe with relatives who no longer live in the N.E. and remember the Towns glory days of the 1950's I tend to pass through (keeping an eye out for someone with a Canoe dashing out in front of me :D ) when on the way to Hartlepool.
I wonder if the 'Headgear' denotes Rank as it did in the Shipyards.
Chap with the Bowler being the Cox and the Chap on the left with the 'Boater'? The Secretary.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:48 pm

Wonderful set of blokes, there does seem to be some 'class distinction' in the headgear and I'm not at all sure about the chap with the white trousers. My money's on Mr. Boater being an Engineer, like you, Ron :lol:
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:04 pm

Having a closer look after your suggestion N.E. and judging by the state of the front of his trousers you could well be right (being on your knees to do a fix was part and parcel of being an Engineer) unless he was pleading for a bit of overtime to keep his Wife and 8 children, he looks a bit of a Charmer :D
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:58 pm

I look UP to him because he's the Cox, but I look DOWN to them because they are not Engineers :D
I thought there were 3 very tall chaps but then I noticed that 2 of them are standing on boxes.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:36 am

This is a map of Seaton Carew dated 1938 and the Lifeboat House is shown at the extreme south end. Looks like quite a pull to the sand never mind the sea.
The bus station is just above the Lifeboat House. The 1950 map doesn't show the Lifeboat House.

Seaton Carew.jpg
Map is copyright of Ordnance Survey

Below is a view from Google Maps and I have marked the Bus Station and Macs Magic Shop as points of reference.
I think the Lifeboat House must have been in the trees to the left.

Seaton Carew2.jpg
Map is copyright of Google
Dave
Whickham

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:58 am

Thanks Dave, I was wondering if they had utilised part of the old WW1 Seaplane Base.
Joking apart, Brave Men one and all bearing in mind their Safety Gear of Flat Cap And Cork Lifejacket in the posed picture ;) although I am sure when they are in the Boat they will be wearing a bit more!
Hornbeam

Postby Whickham » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:04 am

No name on this lifeboat but could be the same one, but earlier photo I think from the hats. I like the wheels turned into heptagons (or some such).

Seaton Carew3.jpg
Photo courtesy of Museum of Hartlepool
Dave
Whickham

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:24 am

The 'Conversion' of the wheels could have been a lesson learnt from the Mud/ Sand of WW1, looks like the Bowler is part of the Safety Gear unless they have been promoted to "The Management".
Hornbeam

Next

Return to Lifeboats of the North East