Scarborough Harbour

Commercial and pleasure craft of the Yorkshire coast

Scarborough Harbour

Postby michaelp » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:18 pm

Scarborough Harbour.jpg

Found this post card among my "Treasures"
Happy memories of a harbour full of fishing boats.
It was sent to me in 1968 by my then girlfriend, then fiancee who is still my wife. So must have been taken earlier in the 1960's.
I remember coasters coming to Scarborough with timber. It was said it was for Magnet Joinery.
They must have had to empty the harbour to get the ships in. I never saw one come in or leave.

Michael
michaelp

Re: Scarborough Harbour

Postby teesships » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:49 pm

That looks like the Sietas built PAULA completed in January 1964, so narrows down the date a little.

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:03 pm

That look to be at the peak of the herring season, with Scottish boats that have followed the shoals down the coast.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:48 pm

There was a superb Boatbuilder and Maintainer of the Miss Velocities of which there was more than one in the 1940's/50's and all other wooden boats, the Workshop was on the Harbour Front just over the road from where this vessel is moored, as a number of members will be aware it was/is? the practice for various Companies to buy part Cargo and split the shipping costs.
The Grid that supported the "Hispaniola" at low tide which is still used by boats for mainly careening was I believe made from shipped in timber.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:55 am

The Boatbuilders Shed that I am referring to in my previous is in the position 54o 17' 03N Oo 23' 22"W it is still there, now a Retail Outlet, the Main Doors are at the Back Opposite the Car Park.
There may have been other Boatbuilders but this is the one I remember.
The good Ship "Hispaniola" is not the little vessel that tootals around now but the magnificent vessel that appeared in the films "Treasure Island" and "Moby Dick", in between these films Scarborough Council owned her as an Exhibition Vessel for marine life, she was full of Fish Tanks exhibiting fish from around the World (no Chips available though :D )
It seems hard to believe now that Scarborough was once the centre for Tuna Fishing pre War.
Hornbeam

Return to Scarborough and Bridlington