SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY

Tyne shipping past and present

SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Saga's Spirit of Discovery, completed at Papenburg in 2019, at Northumbrian Quay this afternoon.
Spirit of Discovery, 9802683, 23 July 2021_03_1.JPG
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Re: SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY

Postby northeast » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 pm

Is she just laid over, or one of the several vessels which have entered the 'Round UK' cruise market.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:11 pm

No George, she's operational - arrived at 05:30 and sailed for Tilbury this evening - full of happy campers, presumably.
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Postby creemaster » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:42 am

Bet the happy campers do not have air beds,midgey nets, folding chairs and tables and all the extras that you need for a field trip!
Regards
Graham
creemaster

Postby northeast » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:40 am

Happy campers who have just had a day ashore in Covid hot-spot Northumberland, according to the press anywhere from Redcar northwards is to be avoided.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:27 am

northeast wrote:Happy campers who have just had a day ashore in Covid hot-spot Northumberland, according to the press anywhere from Redcar northwards is to be avoided.

Without wanting to upset our friends to the North, hence my reluctance to go further North to see that magnificent Crane although it's looking like I will have to stay in the car even when I park up at Redcars Majuba Car Park :( to do a bit of Ship spotting if South Gare is full of massive Motorhomes which you have to yield to if you come face to face on that narrow road. :o Still they know where the nearest toilet is ;)
Hornbeam

Postby Patrick Hill » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:33 am

Hornbeam wrote:
Without wanting to upset our friends to the North, hence my reluctance to go further North to see that magnificent Crane although it's looking like I will have to stay in the car even when I park up at Redcars Majuba Car Park to do a bit of Ship spotting if South Gare is full of massive Motorhomes which you have to yield to if you come face to face on that narrow road. :o Still they know where the nearest toilet is ;)

I've noticed on my last view visits to the South Gare it now appears to be a motorhome campsite - and a news article a few months ago about fly-tipping left me wondering how long before this 'private road' ends up being closed off to public road access completely. :(
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:54 am

There is no doubt on Summer days like the recent ones South Gare is the place to go especially with children, no slot machines :D but as you say spoilt as indeed other places are by illegal dumping. Ron M is in a better position in regards to the legality of closing the road bearing in mind the number of people who need to go along it. The road does get closed it used to be once a year, I happened to go there on the very day it was closed for some by two burly Security Guards who only allowed people through who had a legitimate reason to use it and their names were put on a list (Pike) but that I guess would not be cost effective 365 days without a supporting infrastructure.
It was always a bit of a puzzle when it was classed as a Private Road when it was 'owned' by a public organisation funded by the Taxpayer aka you and I.
In regards to the future it will be interesting to see how the proposals for the land will affect the road and the boat/ cabin owners if at all as it would take brave Mayor to shut all of them down.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

It would not seem to be too arduous for the security to go down early evening and turf off anyone who intended to stay overnight.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:50 am

Now they have started the dismantling of the "Infant Hercules" they may have to close the South Gare road on occasions for safety and health reasons as there appears to be plenty of dust flying about along with the occasional explosions, the end of an era on Teesside, but possibly a healthier future, Pandemics allowing :x
Hornbeam

Next

Return to The Tyne