AIDASOL

Tyne shipping past and present

Re: AIDASOL

Postby michaelp » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:58 pm

3b.JPG

Best I can manage of Annie W Lewis taken in July 1963.
I was in Aberdeen in search of steam locos and wandered into the docks. You just walked on off the street. I got into ships after the demise of steam
The shipyard is that of Hall Russell

michael
michaelp

Postby northeast » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:23 pm

Fine view there of a Kelly collier but not one of that period by Hall Russell, looks to be one of several from various yards in 1950's, presumably at Aberdeen here for maintenance.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:13 pm

Mmmmm. NE she has what I would call a Hall Russell Stern on her along with a Fresh paint job and no Anchors stowed, I would have thought if it had been a maintenance job in Drydock her previously laid out Anchors and Cable in the Drydock bottom for inspection would have been restowed before leaving the Drydock if she was in for maintenance, but I stand to be corrected of course
Steam job, Triple Expansion no doubt with Weirs Auxiliaries.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:03 am

The last Hall Russell for Kelly was BALLYRORY completed Jan.1963 so gone before Michael's visit, and she was the more modern profile
https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... =BALLYRORY

She is a visitor!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:41 am

Just writing from past experience NE when it comes to Funnel Colours and new builds when the vessel could be built for one Company based on say a 10 year Charter with another Company who want the vessel under their Funnel colours as it is easier to paint the Funnel when it is new and ashore rather than later on when it is aboard ship.
The Company who commissioned the build as you most probably will know will have gone to their friendly Bank to obtain a Marine Mortgage for the new build which they will manage for the Bank until the loan is paid off and the process starts again depending on ship requirements.
A fair number of shipping companies raised “Funds” selling ships when they were either on the Stocks or just completed around those years, a practice that still goes on not only in the shipping world but in the prestige car world along with the brown envelope subscription.
I don’t know if it is a mark on the photo or it is the angle piece on the Bow which supported the Bow when launching when the Timbers which were underneath it floated away and the metal angle bracket was removed during Builders Drydocking.
Hornbeam

Previous

Return to The Tyne