Sunken tug on the Tyne 1950 (ish)

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

Sunken tug on the Tyne 1950 (ish)

Postby Whickham » Sun May 19, 2013 6:52 pm

I have been contacted about a sunken paddle tug at Wallsend/Willington Quay:

"Dear Sir, When I was a schoolboy at Jarrow late 1940s early 1950s there was a paddle tug that had sank opposite Palmer’s of Jarrow. Her markings were blue and white vertical stripes with an anchor (blue?) the vessel was raised by means of two very large barrel type objects, one placed either side. After many hours reading the Gazette I have been unable to find any information of the incident. I have tried the Tyne Commissioners Minute books at South Shields, but without a date it is impossible. the only date range I have from memory is between 1949-1952 when we used to play in the remains of the old Palmer’s yard. Could you either point me in the right direction or give me a clue as to where I might find this information"

Must be a France Fenwick tug, but I cannot see any record of this sinking in Proud's Bible. Can anyone help?
Dave
Whickham

Re: Sunken tug on the Tyne 1950 (ish)

Postby Tynesider » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi Dave

Looked at this one for some time, there was a paddle tug sunk off Palmers quay but it was on 7th Jan 1931.

The Hercules belonged to the Lawson Tugs sank after colliding with the Blue star lines Napier Star, three men lost the lives and she was beached capsized and was scrapped soon after.

The Francis Batey sank in December 1946 at Bill Quay towing the tanker Regent Tiger but was recovered and repaired and put back into service.

However I am racking my gray cells trying to remember where I saw another picture of a tug sunk in the Tyne but 'I think' it was off Whitehill point.

Mike
Mike
Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider

Postby Whickham » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks Mike

You may be thinking of the EARSDON in 1958. See last photo at:

http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/colonelthys1912.html
Dave
Whickham

Postby Tynesider » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Whickham wrote:Thanks Mike

You may be thinking of the EARSDON in 1958. See last photo at:

http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/colonelthys1912.html

Hi Dave

Yes that may be the one but I remember a differant photo.

Mike
Mike
Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider

Return to Research Forum