Rail transport of raw materials to shipyards

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

Re: Rail transport of raw materials to shipyards

Postby Whickham » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Been looking through some old Blyth photos to see if I can see any railways in shipyards and not got much so far. I think this one shows the station (on the left about half way up the photo). The line goes through the station and across the heads of the drydocks to the West Staiths. I had not appreciated how the coal got to these staiths. There also seems to be a branch line running into the right hand side of the shipyard.

Shipyard_Air.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Not exactly shipyard related but may be of interest. Looks as though they are unloading pit props.

Fivelstad-2.jpg

This photo may also confirm a query raised in:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7631&p=13743&hilit=fivelstad#p13743
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Probably more "dock estate" rather than shipyards or Blyth Station, but may be of interest.

Sidings (2).jpg

SouthHarb1.jpg

Timber.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby magoonigal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Blyth Shipyard had very good rail links with twin lines running into the yard from the bottom end of the station. No 3 Dock had a couple of short sidings next to it, then the line ran round the top of the old building berths and Nos 1 & 2 Docks with a short spur running between them. Lines then went round the new building berths so materials could be taken direct from rail transport to the berth. Cannot recall seeing any pictures of rail deliveries though. But to be fair the yard was surrounded by a very high wall!....

Have you asked Gordon Smith????
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 am

Steel deliveries by rail continued at Wallsend yard until the mid eighties. Plates were delivered on sloped trestles on flat-bed wagons - lying horizontally many would have exceeded the loading gauge. I don't recall seeing tanker wagons - fuel for trials, etc., would generally be supplied by a bunkering vessel or, occasionally, by road tanker.
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Return to Research Forum