Timber from Japan with coal on the way back

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

Timber from Japan with coal on the way back

Postby Whickham » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 pm

I have received the following query and I wonder whether anyone can help:

"I think I saw somewhere in the past that sailing ships brought timber from Japan to the Tees and returned with coal.
Were these Japanese ships or British, as I have a contact in Tokyo who is curious.
Any clues or help would be appreciated"

Any thoughts?
Dave
Whickham

Re: Timber from Japan with coal on the way back

Postby northeast » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 am

Sounds like a credible move, timber might have been hardwoods of higher value than our normal domestic or European softwood supplies?
Coal was certainly shipped out as far as Far East, have noted around 1900 vessels lost on voyages like 'Cardiff to Vladivostok, coal'.
I thought had read that Japan in early to mid 1800's forbade the building of ships for international trade on basis of maintaining their culture etc., they did not see the need to trade worldwide, it was only maybe late 1800's and age of steam that Japanese deep-sea shipping developed. So I would surmise that these voyages would not be by Japanese sailing ships.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:55 am

Thank you George you have have a good point there.

Searching on the web I have found that:

From 1633, when the Tokugawa Shogunate proclaimed the isolation of Japan, until the middle of the 19th century, the Country's external relations and trade had been confined to China and Holland, and the only port open for these purposes was Nagasaki.

In June 1853, the U.S. East India Fleet, commanded by Commodore Matthew C. Perry, entered Uraga Harbor near Yokohama.

In March 1854, acceding to Commodore Perry's demands backed by threatening arms, the Government of Japan signed a "Treaty of Peace and Amity between the Emperor of Japan and the United States of America." This was the very first step taken by Japan towards joining the international community.

This historic treaty opened the ports of Shimoda and Hakodate to the United States in order to supply the U.S. ships with fuel, food, etc. It was followed by similar treaties with Holland, Russia, the United Kingdom and France.

I wonder what time frame my questioner had in mind? I will ask for more details.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:15 am

My contact has come back with a little bit more specific information:

"The era I was interested in was around 1900.
My contact in Tokyo, has said that most of their records were destroyed by US bombing at the end of WW II"

Any further info on sailing ships going from the Tees to Japan with coal about that time?
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:46 pm

I like the idea of a "Treaty of Peace and Amity" ... signed at gunpoint!
Clearly this was in the era when Japanese ships were trading deep-sea but I am ignorant as to whether they had sailing ships around that time.
northeast
Site Admin

Return to Research Forum