Lady Brassey

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

Lady Brassey

Postby Whickham » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 am

I have been contacted by Ann Jessop from New Zealand with a question about service records and I wonder if anyone can suggest a way forward for her. She wrote:

"I have been reading some old letters from my Mother and in one written 5/11/1958 she talks of a trip to Folkstone and a bus trip from there to Dover. Quote Dad 'prowled round the docks until we found the Lady Brassey - after which, Alec being satisfied, we took the bus back to Folkstone'. On your website I have an almost identical photo to your first one, the only difference being in the very slight difference in angle the photo was taken and the background, no white cliffs. It is an old photo and it is not possible to read the name of the boat, it was found among Dad's belongings when he died along with his Indentity disc, a photo of ? the crew and a portrait photo of him in naval uniform with 'Rescue Tugs' on the hatband. I know that he was in the Dover Patrol during WW1 and although the Lady Brassey is not mentioned on his record I obtained from Kew I feel he must have served on the Lady Brassey, are there any records of crew lists?
George Alexander Fisher, Z/5394, R.N.V.R Bristol Division. Pity I was not interested in Family History at that time and was in fact overseas working in Melbourne, Australia, and now live in Auckland, New Zealand, no chance to ask him any questions. He studied for his BA London externally while serving in the Patrol, he was a telephonist, and particularly when maintaining radio silence it took his mind off the thought the only a 1/4 inch steel plate separated him from any mine floating by. Otherwise he said very little about that time in his life. I would like to prove that he served on the Lady Brassey."

Any help appreciated.

PS Link to LADY BRASSEY record: http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/ladybrassey1913.html
Dave
Whickham

Re: Lady Brassey

Postby teesships » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am

Ann could try subscribing (free) to Mariners' List.
Details at: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=129

Subscribing information at: http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/inde ... INERS.html

Ron
(currently sole Administrator for ML! Mick is still webmaster)
teesships

Re: Lady Brassey

Postby Whickham » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks Ron, I will pass that suggestion on.
Dave
Whickham

Return to Research Forum