Launch of unknown ship

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

Launch of unknown ship

Postby SheilaC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:40 pm

I am currently researching this family photo, about which I have no information. Apologies for any non-technical terms - I know nothing at all about ships! Any help would be gratefully received.

I believe the ship is being launched from Swan Hunter at Wallsend (I can see the same landmarks on the horizon to the left of the large structure as appear in other photos of this shipyard which are available on the internet), and the photo is taken from or near the Ballast Hill, Hebburn. I suspect the time period is 1945-1965, with 1950s being most likely. The name on the ship is illegible (I have tried a magnifying glass, and also scanned the photo at the highest resolution possible without success); all I can say is it has 2 words, and that the second word appears to have 7 letters (I assume the word underneath is some sort of location). If I were to guess, I would guess at British Destiny (launched 1959) but I have no idea whether or not 'my' ship is a tanker. Also do ships launch backwards?

img146.jpg

Thanks in anticipation,
Sheila
SheilaC

Re: Launch of unknown ship

Postby Whickham » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 pm

I wonder whether it might be DOMINION MONARCH which would be 1938. The crowds would indicate that it was a special launch.

If so details at: http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/D-Ships ... h1939.html

As regards your final question, yes it is normal (but not always the case) for ships to have been launched stern first.
Dave
Whickham

Postby SheilaC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks for that suggestion which makes the photo older than previously thought (but not inconceivable). The man in the foreground cannot now be my dad but, to be honest, it could be anyone! I can see the similarities between my incomplete ship and the photo of the Dominion Monarch here:

Also the clothing worn by the onlookers looks more 1930s than 1950s. I could definitely be persuaded.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.
SheilaC

Postby SheilaC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:51 pm

And just found a picture of the launch on a Swan Hunter poster here:

http://www.ssmaritime.com/dominionmonarch.htm
SheilaC

Return to Research Forum