SHANGRI-LA

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

SHANGRI-LA

Postby northeast » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:58 am

This fine vessel belonged to my grandfather, Ronald McLeod and is seen here wrecked by the gale in January 1953 ... only problem I have is, where is it? He was living in Redcar at the time.
SHANGRI-LA_011953.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Re: SHANGRI-LA

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Hartlepool as was before the Teesside Development quango got hold of it?
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:06 pm

I thought of somewhere like Middleton Pier but it doesn't seem to match, the boat is lying against rather fancy railings which suggest a promenade next to the pier?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Ah, grandad must have sold her in the lean 1930's ... I have placed this next to the small harbour at Old Margate! Wondered if she might have been one of the Dunkirk ships but seems not.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:02 am

SHANGRI-LA in happier days, full of the McLeods, probably somewhere on the Tees above Thornaby.
SHANGRI-LA with Bertie standing.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Looking at the last photograph tells me by her shape she is possibly an ex RN Pinnace? These became available when some of the WW1 RN Warships were scrapped and buyers put a cabin on them. Up till the 1950's they used to have the Yarm to Stockton swimming races, Jack Hatfield was one of the competitors, is the pennant on her Bow a Referee pennant. Regards, Ron@2
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:25 pm

I don't know her origins, grandad owned her pre-war and as below, sold pre-war to some lucky chap who saw her wrecked at Margate!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:43 am

G.M. N.E. if you summon up The Portsmouth Dockyard Historical Trust and look for a 42ft Rowing, Sailing Pinnace called 'Cyclops' you will see the resemblance. If your Grandad was operating on the Tees in the 1930's he will possibly have known my Uncle Gordon (Wiggins) who owned Wiggins Engineering which was on the Trading Estate opposite in later years Ugolini's (BoroGoalkeeper) Garage on Thornaby Road. My Uncle converted his 42ft Pinnace in the 1930's into a rather nice Motor Cruiser called the ' Lady Margaret ' instead of boring through the Stern Post for a single Stern Tube he fitted two shaft logs to her and put a pair of petrol engines in. He kept her well into the 1960's after retro fitting her with Diesel's and then she was sold and disappeared from the Tees. Many years later I was visiting friends down at Cottingham and had a trip down to the Hull Docks and Marina and there she was sat in the Marina. Recognised her straight away although her name was changed to 'John Vincent'. I wonder if she is still afloat? possibly somewhere in the Canal system and though she might have had another name change.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks will have a look. In the meantime I see you have found JOHN H. VINCENT in the Goole section. I had no idea re her origins.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Hello N.E. no I hadn't didn't think about this Site covering this type of boat, you have certainly made my day :) I would be obliged if you could give me her exact location and hopefully when this madness is over and we have all had our injections I will visit her if she is still afloat of course, as you say now looking a bit Tatty but considering her age she is doing well. Her topside is the same as when Uncle Gordon rebuilt her out of quality materials and as he lived in one of those houses on the Green at Thornaby where his back garden ran down to the river he had a little cut dug to keep her out of the river detritus flowing past. She should be put on the Historic Ships Register.
Hornbeam

Return to Research Forum