Hartlepool, perhaps?

A place to list research sources and to ask for help in researching all maritime matters

Hartlepool, perhaps?

Postby Keelman » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:57 pm

RITVA at Hartlepool (tbc)-Malcolm Cranfield collection.jpg
BETWA on 6.4.63 - Malcolm Cranfield collection.jpg
ATHENIAN at Hartlepool (tbc) Malcolm Cranfield collection.jpg
Malcolm Cranfield has asked if I can identify the location of the attached photo's. Hartlepool has been suggested for two of them.
Would anyone like to comment please
Thank you
Keelman

Re: Hartlepool, perhaps?

Postby northeast » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:49 pm

Bottom one certainly Hartlepool, the ore berth. Also to the top one.
Wonder if centre one is exiting M'bro Dock? Smith's Dock in the distance.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:45 am

You are most probably correct NE in regards to the middle picture, although the background is a bit blurred decanting from the old Middlesbrough Railway Dock you would see the North bank of the Tees on the bend where in that area there was no structures as it was previously a Dump used by ICI Billingham filled with the off cuts and scrap off the Perspex which ICI made for aircraft and other uses during the War and afterwards.
The vessel itself is my favourite design of traditional Freighter built mainly for the run to the Far East under as you are aware B.I. Funnel colours, sailing on this run with an Indian Crew changed my traditional palette from being Meat and two Veg to a life long lover of a decent Curry which I still have at least twice a week except today of course being “Fish Friday”
The vessel highlights the period when Shipowners were changing from traditional Triple Expansions to Diesels mainly three cylinder Doxfords!,
Hornbeam

Postby Keelman » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:49 am

Many thanks for your response gentlemen, I felt sure someone would be able help. I'm not familiar with Hartlepool at all, shame on me!
I'll pass your comments on to Malcolm
Keelman

Return to Research Forum