Prince of Wales

For all naval matters throughout the North East region

Prince of Wales

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 am

I read that he/she has now got problems with the other Shaft, any idea what the problem(s) are, Shaft alignment possibly? module building can present difficulties when they modules are built by others :(
Hornbeam

Re: Prince of Wales

Postby northeast » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:22 am

Yes, shaft and couplings it seems.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fr ... 331b66bff1

HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH was at Glen Mallan for stores this week, she seems to be OK so far. Maybe quality control was not so good on 2nd of the class.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:49 pm

I wonder if there was confusion between Metric and Imperial?
When the TCC Whitby was new she was forever breaking down with Stern Gland leakage mainly oil from the "automatic" Stern Gland lubricator system which dumped oil into the Bilges.
A High Tech solution was required, this turned out to be the fitting of large Grease Cups and the disconnection of the "automatic" system.
Last edited by Hornbeam on Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:15 am

Judging from information in my recent Forces Press Publications it looks like he/she will be ending up like the old "Leviathan" as a spares source sat in a Dockyard, as you have indicated George it would seem that "Quality Control" has indeed gone out of the Portholes, not only the major problem of Shaft alignment (now with both apparently) needing attention but there are other numerous Defects that require attention. It is accepted with the first of of a new design /build that changes may need to be made but should have been sorted before the No2 was handed over.
I blame the use of the modern Cad/Cam ( Computer Aided Design/ Computer Aided Manufacturing) and we should revert to the previous Cad/Cam -----(Cardboard Aided Design and Carboard Aided Manufacturing) ;)
It looks like he/she is going to be an unlucky vessel, I blame the German habit of denoting vessels Male rather than Female :x
It also would appear that he/she will have Contractors as part of her Crew possibly on the "X" List?
Hornbeam

Return to Naval Shipping