Border Star

Border Star

Postby Whickham » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:57 am

In 1960 RB Harrison & Sons Ltd at Bill Quay built a wooden trawler BORDER STAR

Border_Star-1960.jpg
Photo courtesy of Neil S Evans

See details at: http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/B-Ships ... r1960.html

I would be obliged if anyone can add to the description on Tyne Built Ships or answer and of my questions:
A) Did Harrisons build the hull or was that subcontracted - Robsons? - Eyemouth?
B) Was this a one off or did they build others?
C) Were there any other new builds between 1939 and 1960

See Harrison's list at: http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/HarrisonBQ.html

Any comments appreciated
Dave
Whickham

Re: Border Star

Postby Whickham » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 am

Came across this description of the BORDER STAR at the local library.

Border_Star-1960-press.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Re: Border Star

Postby Whickham » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:39 pm

My information on BORDER STAR initially came from Neil Evans who has a boat on the River Weaver in the same boatyard as the BORDER STAR, which is now unloved and with an unsure future. He was interested in finding out more and located photos and technical detail which populated the initial detail on Tyne built Ships. Since then we have been exchanging information as more details were discovered. He has now been in contact with a former apprentice at the Harrison yard at the time that BORDER STAR was built. His name is Jim Gardner and his comments refer to Malcolm Donnelly's photo which I have used on TBS. Jim worked at Harrisons from 1959 to 1965.

Harrisons-yard.jpg
Photo copyright of Malcolm Donnelly

Jim confirms that she was indeed built there entirely but that there had to be some temporary changes to the sheds to accommodate a wooden build as this was not the norm at that time. He also names the foreman shipwright and loftsman plus the platers and welders who made the steelwork for her. Billy Reay was shipwright foreman and his brother Don was loftsman. Platers were Bob Charlton and Vince O'Hagan, welders Bobby Woof and Billy Cooper.

"She was not built on the slip, but on the land to the right of the black shed, bows facing the white building and then lifted the 20 feet down to the river by the floating crane Titan II. There was a steam chest on that land and part of the black shed (plating shed) was handed over to the shipwrights and carpenters were all the scantlings were cut. A temporary suspended floor was built above that area to enable the lofting. Once the hull and deck were completed, she was lifted into the river and moored alongside the barge under the crane on the right and her engine, deckhouse etc added"

So there we have it and my thanks to Neil Evans for doing most of the detective work.
Dave
Whickham

Return to Shipbuilding on the Tyne