Postby TEESMAN » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 am

T.C.C.HOPPER NO5 date and photographer unknown
T.C.C.HOPPER NO5.jpg
Photo Michael Green Collection
TEESMAN

Re: T.C.C.HOPPER NO5

Postby teesships » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:46 pm

50 YEARS AGO

T.C.C. HOPPER NO. 5 (5347776), Tees Conservancy Commissioners, Middlesbrough, 751gt,
completed Lobnitz & Co. Ltd., Renfrew, 8-1950.
1967 ownership to Tees and Hartlepools Port Authority, 1969 Tees and Hartlepool Port Authority,
1971 Pounds Marine Shipping Ltd., BU San Esteban de Pravia 2.5.74 [Steelnorte]

River Tees, 29 September 1964:
1213tcch5.jpg
Ron
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 pm

No5&6 were sister ships, Harry B. was the permanent Chief on 5 with George W. Chief on 6, I am surprised they went for scrap so early most probably down to the oil crisis as they were oil fired via the Weirs system. The black gang consisted of the Chief an Engineman/Greaser and a Fireman, all the auxiliaries were steam powered along of course with the T.E. Built in the days before CAD/CAM however at some point somebody appeared to have done a weight saving on the M.E.as compared to the older engines they seem to be quite 'spindly' a bit like American built T.E's. Nice Engineroom layouts. The steering gear was at Deck level in its own compartment right Aft. What was immediately notable was that the Deckhead in this compartment was heavily braced which I thought a bit odd on asking why that was I was told that they were built with the aid of a HMG Grant their War Role would be on Boom Defence and a Gun would be mounted on top of the steering gear compartment. I know that British Merchant Vessels were also built with this type of grant but hadn't realised that it extended down to self propelled Hoppers although looking at No64 background now it seems to be possibly true.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 am

Looking at the top photo reminds me of the only "nod" to protecting the environment we had onboard the TCC craft at that time, that was the Smoke Chart/Graph this showed the density of smoke and how long you were allowed to stay at that density, this was hung in the Stokehold. The irony of it was not lost bearing in mind this was "Smoggie" land where you had ICI, the Coke Ovens and in particular the Blastfurnaces belching out smoke and fume. If you were a Boro Lad sailing home from deep sea it was not the sight of Lands End that excited you but the huge pall of smoke over the Tees which could be seen for miles when you were plodding up the North Sea, even more so at night time when they dropped the 'Witches Hat' which lit up the whole of Teesside like a huge Incendiary Flare. Unfortunately for the TCC Fireman especially on the natural draught coal burners sticking to the smokechart was somewhat difficult, No5 however was a forced draught oil burner and the photographer must have took this shot just as the Fireman flashed up but a bit slow on the forced draught lever. As far as I remember there was no periscope for the Fireman to look at the Funnel output fitted on any of the TCC Steam powered craft.
Hornbeam

Return to T.C.C. craft