KNOCKMAROON

KNOCKMAROON

Postby teesships » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 am

One of the TCC vessels for which I have no photo, nor can I find one anywhere.
Her background history is, however, given at: https://www.olddublintown.com/guinness- ... arges.html

Ron M
teesships

Re: KNOCKMAROON

Postby northeast » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 am

We have one listed here, Ron, maybe she came to TCC from the pre-war Hull owner>

http://www.shippingandshipbuilding.uk/v ... NOCKMAROON
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 am

G.M. Teesships a former fellow employee of the old TCC and a "Golden Eagle" I understand, the "Knockmaroon" was as you most probably know the freshwater carrier mainly for the Dredgers but sometimes used by the Hoppers who could not get alongside the Graving Dock to draw freshwater. From memory she had a little Compound? Engine fitted looked after by an Engineman, very much the English version of "Para Handy"
Hornbeam

Postby teesships » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 am

northeast wrote:We have one listed here, Ron, maybe she came to TCC from the pre-war Hull owner>

http://www.shippingandshipbuilding.uk/v ... NOCKMAROON

Yes, George, this is the same one. Will have to check back on John Proud''s fleet list details in TEES PACKET!

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks Ron, have updated her page, still at Hull in 1947 so later to TCC and converted to water tanker.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:13 pm

John Proud did, indeed, show her full history, namely:

KNOCKMAROON: Waterboat, 60 tons capacity. 81 gross tons, 80 x 17.1 x 6.7 dimensions
Built by Vickers (Ireland) Ltd., Dublin, engine 160ihp. O.N. 146430
Port of registry: 1929 Dublin - 1938 Hull - 1949 Middlesbrough
1929 completed for A. Guiness, Son & Co. Ltd., Dublin
1938 sold to J. Hunt & Sons Ltd., Leeds
November 1949 bought by TCC for £3600 (including conversion)
January 1st 1967 transferred to THPA
June 1969 sold to Tees Marine Services for £600 and broken up.

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks Ron.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby taximan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:01 am

Hornbeam wrote:G.M. Teesships a former fellow employee of the old TCC and a "Golden Eagle" I understand, the "Knockmaroon" was as you most probably know the freshwater carrier mainly for the Dredgers but sometimes used by the Hoppers who could not get alongside the Graving Dock to draw freshwater. From memory she had a little Compound? Engine fitted looked after by an Engineman, very much the English version of "Para Handy"

When the 'knockker' ended her working life, she was laid up for a while at the Port Clarence side of the transporter. This may have been to accommodate the watchman and possibly to provide a mooring for the 'Whiby' I remember spending a few nights on board and of course, nosey bugger that I am I would explore. In the engine room I discovered a cupboard absolutely packed with tinned peas of all things.
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 am

G.M. Taximan, your finding of the tins of peas does not surprise me they were a strange Crew on her and as I indicated earlier very much the English version of 'Para Handy'. Were you with little Sammy and his Trench Coat which when he took it of apparently stood up on its own and were you at the TCC when the smuggling incident occurred? As you are aware the John H moored over there did you do night watchman on her?
Always grateful to a decent Night Watchman who had steam up and all I had to do was crack open the boiler Main stops and let everything warm through whilst having a quick breakfast!
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 am

There is a picture of sorts on this Site of part of the Knockmaroon, you would have to know what she looked like to spot her on the Lackenby Forum, on the photograph of Lackenby at her mooring if you look over her Aft Deck you can see the Bridge and Funnel of the good ship Knockmaroon.
Hornbeam

Next

Return to T.C.C. craft