Unidentified Dredger ?

Unidentified Dredger ?

Postby taximan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:28 am

Can anyone identify the Dredger shown in the photo below. I have had the photo saved to my computer for some time and until this morning I had never noticed that she had twin ladders. The Hopper alongside seems to be No 3.

201608071718310.TCCHOPPERNO31906A.jpg

201608071718310.TCCHOPPERNO31906A (2).jpg
Just one more trip
taximan

Re: Unidentified Dredger ?

Postby teesships » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:42 pm

This photo is from the T.C.C. handbook issued in July 1906. I also made her out to be T.C.C. HOPPER NO. 3.
This hopper was launcherd and completed by Ropner at Stockton only in April 1906, so shownwhen brand new.
Thus, a very tight timeframe for the unidentified dredger. It is not T.C.C. DREDGER NO. 6 of 1903 which also features in the handbook - and has its own page in this NEM forum.
Unfortunately, neither Miramar nor Clip seem to list any TCC dredgers before no. 6 so I'm going to have to rumage through my old issues of TEES PACKET to see what options John Proud listed in his comprehensive fleet list several years ago .... unless George beats me to it!!

Ron M
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Just spotted this photo, I think this is the same 'Mystery Dredger' seen at Stockton, you can just make out her second set of Buckets just above the Bow of No3. I was Relief Chief on Hopper No2 late 1950's built by Ropners? around the same time, a lovely old girl, Blair built Main Engine, a bit quirky you might say as the controls were the opposite way round to the norm but it just shows you if you looked after an old steam job they would last for years. Her permanent Chief was a funny old stick who had a 'Town Wife' and a ' Country Wife' As the job during my time was a five day week he spent the weekdays staying with his 'Town Wife' and his weekends off with his 'Country Wife'. He was also a lucky chap when the Cargo Fleet Hopper he was on during WW2 hit a Mine and blew up just as he was tying his shoelace with his shoe on the Bits, the Bits and shoe coming up and smacking him the face knocking him unconscious till he woke up in Hospital.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:03 pm

So tell us, did both wives turn up at the hospital? :lol:
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 pm

I was going to say he must have seen the Alec Guinness Film "The Captains Paradise" but that dates from 1953 so it could have been the other way round.

The Captain's Paradise is a 1953 British comedy film produced and directed by Anthony Kimmins, and starring Alec Guinness, Yvonne De Carlo and Celia Johnson. Guinness plays the captain of a passenger ship that travels regularly between Gibraltar and Spanish Morocco. De Carlo plays his Moroccan wife and Johnson plays his British wife. The film begins at just before the end of the story, which is then told in a series of flashbacks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:25 am

It was reputed that certain officers of the United Baltic Corporation had English and Finnish families!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 am

G.M. NE, it was not unusual to have two Wives for those who did regular routes, a fellow Engineer who was with Bank Line doing the Aussie/Japan route had a Wife in Australia and another in Kobe, when his ship ran aground on an Island in the South Pacific (as Bank Boats used to do, no need for a Lighthouse just look for a wrecked Bank Line vessel) both Wives contacted Head Office which caused a bit of confusion. I was surprised that Theo played it so close to home, but from what I gather his 'Partners' were happy with the arrangement. He was getting on in years when I met him on No2 and had quite a relaxed attitude to life you could say.
Hornbeam

Return to T.C.C. craft