Russian ships

Russian ships

Postby Terrysummerson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:17 pm

I was always impressed by the fact that every time one of the Swan Hunter built warships was docked at Wallsend there was usually a Russian ship in the next dock. It may have just been a coincidence but if not then their information must have been very good.
I was also surprised to see Russian ships fitting out at Hawthorn Leslie during the time Hms Cardif was there.
Terrysummerson

Re: Russian ships

Postby Rivoldini » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Funny enough I said exactly the same. There was often a Russian ship in Dry Dock at Swans including once the liner IVAN FRANKO. It was not often Russia spent their hard earned cash overseas. There must have been dozens of shady characters lurking around taking pictures etc. I never thought it a coincidence.
Rivoldini

Postby GDTURNER » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:48 pm

Ivan Franko.jpg
Outbound on the Tyne, don't have a date for this shot.
GDTURNER

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:35 pm

Not a coincidence of course, at that time all vessels from Trawlers to Cruise Ships to Sail Training vessels belonged to the Soviet Navy. It was a well known "dodge" by the Soviets, when R.N. vessels were moving around you could bet that a Soviet vessel would ask permission to enter Port which was denied so instead they would declare an Emergency and just sail in anyway, the purpose was to record underwater/ propulsion sounds which are different for every vessel as you most probably are aware.
The only change in today's world is that the previously mentioned vessels appear to be in "Private Ownership" and Registered in "Flag of Convenience" (F.O.C.) Countries but still have at least one Russian aboard. The " Private Owners" are of course friends of Ras-Putin.
The above also applies to Russian owned Mega Yachts before the sanctions/ seizures started to take effect, they are now scattering all over the World with their A.I.S. switched off to avoid seizure along with dubious changes of Ownership.
It would be no surprise that bearing in mind the situation in Ukraine and our help Marchwood will be watched one way or another by the Soviets sorry, rebranded Russians.
Going "Dark" ( switching the A.I.S. off)is an offence in Maritime Law, not that it would bother the Russians bearing the offences they are committing against Humanity in Ukraine.
Hornbeam

Return to Shiprepairing on the Tyne