SCHARHORN

Re: SCHARHORN

Postby Beano » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 am

I remember seeing the Schaarhorn in Buckie harbour in the late 1970s when I lived in Elgin. She was in a sorry state. I was able to walk freely on deck and see that vandals had stripped her of most accessible fittings. The saloon was open but access below deck was locked.
I moved to Darlington in 1980 and remember an item on BBC NE News about the Treloar brothers from Haltwhistle having bought her. The journey from Buckie to the Tyne was interesting. As I recall, a North East based trawler with a crew of two was engaged to tow Shaarhorn from Buckie to the Tyne, but they ran into bad weather off the Scottish border area, cast the Schaarhorn adrift and ran for the port of Eyemouth (I think). The following day a European vessel found the Schaarhorn and towed her in claiming salvage. I don't recall the details (or the eventual cost to the Treloars, or what they said to the skipper of the N.E trawler who cast their precious cargo adrift) but Schaarhorn eventually came to the Tyne.
About year 2000 I tried to research the fate of Schaarhorn and tried to contact the Treloar brothers without success. I did however manage a brief email exchange with the gent who sailed the ship from Hamburg to Buckie with Kieth Schellenburg, but have lost it.
How she was later taken to Maryport I have no idea. She seems to have done many nautical miles with a hull deemed unseaworthy! Whatever, I am glad she has been saved and restored.
Beano

Re: SCHARHORN

Postby northeast » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Good to have these personal memories, and welcome to our friendly forum!
northeast
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tyne Tugs and Port Craft