Crosthwaite Tugs

Crosthwaite Tugs

Postby peegee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

Hi All, Just joined the ship and would like to introduce myself. Now well retired and getting on in years but not quite ready for the breakers. A former seafarer with 12 years on deck( navigation) with BP and Esso until the mid 60s.

Both sides of my family were connected with Tyne shipping but particularly interested in Crosthwaite Tugs of North Shields which was founded by my great grandfather in 1883 and existed until finally taken over by Lawson Batey in the early 60s.

Unfortunately, family records of the business are scant, to say the least and information that I have has been gleaned from public records such as newspapers. Also, much infornation was had from John Proud's excellent book and personal contact with him put me in touch with other aspects of the family history.

One always hopes that there is more to be found and in this sense I would be very interested indeed to hear from anyone who just might have the odd piece of info. ....perhaps a relative who served on one of the tugs etc. Or a photograph.

With thanks
peegee
(Pete)
peegee

Re: Crosthwaite Tugs

Postby Shieldsman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:06 pm

HI Pete first of all welcome. Have you checked out the tyne tug web page if not there may be some info on there about CROSTHWAITE TUGS
Shieldsman

Postby peegee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi Shieldsman, Thank you for signal and welcome. Yes, I have been into Tyne Tugs website and there is much Crosthwaite fleet information there and I would say pretty well complete from what is available. I must say that it is an excellent dedicated source of local tug history. Incidentally, I have been unable to make contact with them for some reason
.I am looking forward to getting familiar with all the interesting stuff herein and congratulations on an A1 website.

Thanks again

Pete.
peegee

Postby Whickham » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi Pete, I'm sorry if you have been unable to contact me from the Tyne Tugs website.
You should be able to get to me via webmaster@tynetugs.co.uk or via this site.
Best regards.
Dave
Whickham

Postby peegee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi Whickham, Thank you for getting in touch .....don't know why my attempts to contact failed.Perhaps a misspelling or something but correct address appreciated.
Just before John Proud died he sent me a most interesting account of a 1st World War deep sea voyage made by the Crosthwaite tug " Joseph Crosthwaite". Entitled "A Tyne Tug at War". Of course you may already be in possession of this but if not I would like to send a copy to you and also to forum members of of NEM herein.
I was given John Proud's blessing to forward copies ( photo copies via Royal Mail )to two maritime friends and a couple of relations so I am sure that there will be no "copywright" issues or anything.
I have to somehow work out how best to transmit the 4 pages of A4 but perhaps first things first and you could let me know if you would like to receive the document.

Best Wishes
Pete
peegee

Postby Whickham » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Pete,
Yes I would very much like to read the document. You could either scan the pages and post them on here (NEM) or you could send me an email and I will send you my postal address.
Best regards
Dave
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:37 am

Scan into pdf format if your scanner has that function, then attach per usual method.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby peegee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 am

Hi and Good Day . I have had ongoing problems with scanning and emailing and also other procedures on my machine here so I think that the most expedient op. will be to send by post . Please let me have your address Dave and I will take it from there. On receipt, would you be able to scan onwards here to George please.?

Cheers Pete.
peegee

Postby Whickham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 am

Pete, I have sent you a private message via this site. You should be able to access it through the messages facility at the very top of the screen, on the right hand side.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks Pete, letter arrived yesterday, but I was out most of the day so not able to attend to it. Will see if I can get it on NEM now. Thanks again.
Dave
Whickham

Next

Return to Tyne Tugs and Port Craft