The George Emily

The George Emily

Postby Tynesider » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Now I am back in the Marina and also have my VHF on I can keep up to date a little better on what's happening

One boat of interest just arrived in the marina is the old Seaham lifeboat the George Emily.
Built in 1948 she was involved in the tragic loss of eight crewman at Seaham when she capsized in November 1962.

She was in a very dilapidated state and has been restored by South Shields boat builder Fred Cowell and is only temporarily here before going to her new home as centrepiece at the new Seaham Heritage Centre.
Mike

http://www.seahamlifeboats.oneuk.com/se ... saster.htm
http://www.seaham.org.uk/georgeelmy/

DSCN4562.JPG

DSCN4559.JPG

DSCN4560.JPG
Mike
Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider

Re: The George Emily

Postby northeast » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:37 am

I remember well that tragic day, we found the nameplate of the coble ECONOMY washed up on the beach at Coatham.
northeast
Site Admin

Fred Cowell

Postby Whickham » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:10 am

This is Fred Cowell, photo by Charles Bell. This is from the book "Tyne View" by Michael Chaplin. This is a lovely book about a group of four people who go for a walk from South Shields to Wylam along the south bank of the Tyne, cross the river and then walk back to Tynemouth. The book was sponsored by the Port of Tyne and Michael is their part time writer in residence. The four walkers are a writer, a photographer, an artist and a poet and each add different elements to the book. The walk takes ten days and along the way they observe the scenery, add a bit of historical context and bump into some "ordinary people" each of whom have a little tale to tell about the river and their life. One of those people is Fred and they visit his workshop where he is restoring the GEORGE EMILY. However one far from ordinary person he meets is our very own Tynebuoy who they find lurking on the riverbank and he has a tale or two to tell about his time in the yards. By pure coincidence, and interest for me, another person is a bird watcher and his photo is a similar full page portrait. I looked at it and thought "I'm sure I know that person", he owns my local fish and chip shop and sure enough it is him. There are some inaccuracies in the book but they don't detract in any way from its overall appeal. For those looking for a detailed River Tyne history book, this is not for them. But those looking for an interesting yarn, I recommend it. ISBN 978-0-9566551-6-5

Fred.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Amazing that it should feature Tynebuoy, you may know he was also in several Catherine Cookson novels as an itinerant seller of firewood which he had craftily shaped into keel blocks in what he grandly referred to as his Riverside Studio next to Palmer's drydock. His long-running affair with Sweaty Betty from Jarrow ended only after he turned from Brown Ale to the sherry and could not keep her in the Manor to which she had been accustomed ....
northeast
Site Admin

Postby tynebuoy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:09 pm

No, we broke up because she couldn't keep me in the custom i'd become used to, watered down sherry indeed, least she said it was water. But since she won the lotto we're back together again, don't you just love happy endings, burp!!!!
tynebuoy

Return to Tyne Tugs and Port Craft