NORTH EAST MARINE ENGINE BUILDERS

Re: NORTH EAST ENGINE MARINE BUILDERS

Postby fitter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Doxford LB engine, by Sun Shipbuilding, Pennsylvania for their ship Texas Sun. Sun would be Doxford's first licencees, very soon after Yngaren, Doxfords first OIL ( Diesel really) engine. All their dimensions were in inches and I don't have the sizes for this engine. I have 37 engines listed as being built by Sun, but there is some ambiguity with five of them.
TEXAS SUNBoven.jpg
fitter

Postby fitter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Doxford 600LBD3 engine similar to those for their Economy ships. This one was for Shorts Clarkeden, yard number 530 in 1958. It was broken up 24 years later. Other names Berane; Phaedon
600lb3 for shorts clarkden poss..jpg
fitter

Postby fitter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Not especially Doxfords of course, but how many of us used these? i remember the first time I say men swinging these round at arms length full of boiled water and tea bags. No idea why they were Called "Billy" cans. Burned you gob on the hot enamel cup if you weren't careful. I went off mine very quickly because I never liked tea and soon just had a cup for coffee. Wonder what the youngsters of today would think of them? Wonder if any are still in use? Wonder who made them and where? There were plenty of men that had dark blue billy cans. Happy days
billy can 3.jpg
billy can 3.jpg (3.79 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
fitter

Postby fitter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Not the North east but a picture to show how much the Sulzer developed. this is a South Korean (Doosan) 14 cylinder, 960 bore engine a few years ago now. These were for the ULCC version of container ships and produced 108,920 bhp (80.080KW), almost five times greater that the most powerful Doxford engine.
sulzer 14rt flex 96c.jpg
fitter

Postby fitter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 pm

A four cylinder Doxford J engine on test at Doxfords. I have no details of which engine it is. It looks like one of the men has earmuffs but I may be wrong, if it is then its probably running. Its not a brilliant photo, but it is an excellent memory for our great grandchildren who might ask "what's a ships engine?"
J Engine.jpg
fitter

Postby fitter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Light machine shop at Doxfords in 1954 when I was just out of nappies and sucking milk from a bottle or elsewhere!!!!
dox enmg 1954.jpg
fitter

Postby fitter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 am

It's a dull, cold, wet October Saturday morning. We live 25 miles from the nearest town, nowt doing and she that must be obeyed is sitting in her dressing gown, winding herself up about all the jobs that can be done around the house, time for a sharp exit to the attic where she never goes. It's a man cave and she doesn't like it, she is intimidated by all the engineering stuff and technical books and it's unheated so it's always cold on days like today! I was so pleased with my watch battery replacement using my new press for replacing snap on watch backs, until I turned the watch over only to find that I had simultaneously acquired another skill - how to crack a watch glass. So time for another session in the attic, rummaging through shipbuilding and marine engine books. Had a look through John Lamb's books. Attached is the frontispiece from John Lambs "Running and Maintenance of the Marine Diesel Engine" 1947, with John Lamb on the bottom platform of a Hawthorn Leslie Werkspoor engine. Many of us will be indebted to that man for his contributions to our understanding of marine engines and for his contributions to marine diesel engineering, not to mention lifeboats. I was told that he volunteered to get inside a covered in lifeboat to that was then set on fire to test its fire resistance. "John Lambs Questions and Answers on Marine Diesel Engines" is still a fascinating book to read
haw werk lamb.JPG

Section and elevation of a Werkspoor engine, details not known
Haw werk sect.JPG

Lovely old drawing of starting gear for a double acting engine, details unknown. We have yet to appreciate the skill, knowledge, ingenuity and patience of those that designed, drew, made, fitted maintained and operated stuff like this.

start gear.JPG
Last edited by fitter on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
fitter

Postby fitter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 am

Sulzer RND engine, familiar to thousands of North East Coast men
sulzer rnd.JPG

Proper pistons, con rods and bottom ends, these are also Sulzer
sulzer piston.JPG
fitter

Postby fitter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Built in large numbers on the Clyde and at Belfast, the B&W, later MAN B&W engines. The K98FF was the engine for Thompsons Naess Crusader and sister Nordic Chieftain. One from Harland and Wolff in Belfast, the other from Kincaids on the Clyde. The government was very kind to the Clyde and Belfast with massive subsidies for shipbuilding and engineering.
B&W K98FF.JPG

The later MAN B&W 12 cylinder 12K98MEC engine with no camshafts! valves were operated hydraulically with electronic control.
12K98MEC MAN SISO.JPG

12K98MEC MAN SEC.JPG
fitter

Postby fitter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 pm

For them that have been there, worn that Tee shirt and still love the sounds and smells of a ship's engine room:
canadian pioneer.jpg
Last Doxford engine, Canadian Pioneer

Larchbank.jpg
On watch on Larchbank

Doxford 670 p4.JPG
Upper piston Doxford 670 P engine
fitter

PreviousNext

Return to Doxford / Pallion