FATIH

FATIH

Postby Keelman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Fatih.jpg
Completed in 1943 as EMPIRE BRUTUS (yard No.624) for the Ministry Of War Transport. Sunderland was her port of registry and she was managed by W.T.Gould for the MOWT.
The ship was damaged by enemy bombing on July 26th 1943 when 197 nautical miles west of Cape Caroeiro, Portugal. while on passage Newport, Wales, to Algeria with a cargo of bombs, amunition and trucks. The tug Empire Samson took her in tow, taking five days to reach the safety of Lisbon.
Empire Brutus was damaged again in July 1944 when she struck a mine 6 nautical miles off Arromanches, France, while on passage Juno Beach, Normandy to Southend on Sea, in ballast. She was beached on Juno Beach, re-floated the next day and towed to Middlesbrough for repairs.
In 1948 the ship was bought by the Haddon Steamship Co. Ltd. London, and renamed VERGMOR
Following her sale to Turnbull, Scott Shipping in 1950 she was given the name SOUTHGATE
Five years later she passed into the ownership of Sadikzade Rusen Ogullari K.S. of Istanbul who renamed her FATIH
In 1967 the ship went aground in the River Parana, Brazil while bound San Nicolas to Buenos Aires. Although re-floated 22 days later her days were numbered and at the year end she was broken up at Istanbul

The above information was gleaned from Wikipedia and from the book BRITISH TRAMPS by I.G.Stewart

My picture dates from 1962 as she lay at the Commissioners Buoys, North Shields.
Just visible in the background is I beleive the stem of Stag Lines PHOTINIA lying at Readheads with newly installed cable laying gear
Keelman

Return to Thompson JL / North Sands