Dunera

Dunera

Postby Whickham » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Blyth Tug Co purchased the DUNERA from Coulson Tug Co at South Shields in 1926. Here she is at Blyth but still in Coulson colours. In 1937 she was renamed DUNERA II to free up the name DUNERA for the British India passenger ship. She was broken up later that year at Clayton & Davie on the Tyne.

Photographer unknown

Dunera.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Re: Dunera

Postby magoonigal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 pm

I think that is the first picture of her I've seen Dave.

Plenty going on in the background as well.

John P has her purchased for £2,000 from Coulson's and then sold 11 years later for £300, quite a rate of depreciation for the time.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Whickham » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Yes, she was very shy. The only other photo I have seen came to me courtesy of the Emperor of Hebburn:

http://www.tynetugs.co.uk/secret1892.html
Dave
Whickham

Postby creemaster » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Where is the photo taken, cannot decide if it is North,South or West staithes. Looks like the ROCK BREAKER in the background.

Too young me !

Graham
creemaster

Postby Whickham » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Here is the full photo Graham.

SSide&Cowpen'20.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby creemaster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks George, now I know where she is. South Side staihtes, just on the edge of what is today the Dun Cow with Alcan, Cowpen Coal Co. Ltd., opposite. Originally thought she was further down the staithes on present day Commisioners Quay where the Spirit of The Staithes sculpture (?) is.

Graham
creemaster

Postby creemaster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 pm

The Black and Whites which have been posted belong to a selection of prints which I first saw in BHC photograph albums 20/23 years ago. My father in law was the then Commercial manager at the harbour and asked me to index their collection on our 1st steam coal fired computer. Needless to say I did the job and a few years later when I wanted the set of HUDSON DEEP doing her loading trials at Blyth in the early 1960s I was told they could not find them. Sounds familiar.
There were two sets, one in photograph albums taken in the 1920/30s which this one belongs to and another taken in the 1950s which started at the round end, berths 1/2, in the South Harbour (actually it started at the dock gate on Wensleydale Terrace) and went up river to Bates, over to the Power Station and back down to the pier, minus the windmills in them days). I think it was for a Government project so that HMG knew what facilities all Britian's ports had in case of national emergencies. Mind you if it came down to WW3 as was feared at that time port facilities would be no use if we were all neuked.
Think I have a set of them somewhere.

Graham
creemaster

Postby magoonigal » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Ahhhhhh now I see where it is. The picture is captioned 'Middle Harbour' and is in Baldwin's History of the Port of Blyth.

I've seen it many times but never realised that was Dunera.

Dave.

I have some of the pictures your posting on a disc, but the Quality of the ones you have is soooooooooo much better.
magoonigal

Postby magoonigal » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Once you know what your looking at other things become clear.....

Couple of points. Baldwins book was published in 1929 and she came to the River in March 1926 so I suspect the Picture would date from either 1926-27 or 28.

The Picture of her with the Glentworth is in John's book on page 181. Credit is 'Company Archives'.

For the old folks......the two men standing on the Quay are just above the steps that go down to the water at what used to be known as Collpits Corner. (Gap between the ships left hand side of the picture.)
magoonigal

Return to Blyth Tugs and port craft