Welcome to North East Maritime

Enquiries about using the forum

Welcome to North East Maritime

Postby northeast » Sat May 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Following the success of the Clyde Maritime forum, those of us on the NE coast (defined rather broadly from Berwick to Grimsby) should surely be able to emulate or even outdo our friends north of the Border!!

The site is run on the popular phpBB software, I looked at downloading the free version and was rather put off by the knowledge needed to run it (being generally useless in such matters) but I found that for a modest monthly fee this 'forumatic' version was available and provided an idiot's guide to setting it up, so that even this idiot has mastered the basics (hopefully). Depending on the success of this forum, hosting costs may increase but we will meet that if and when it arises.
In due course and perhaps with some help it may gain some flashy banners and other such additions!

I have set out a range of forums and sub-forums to meet a wide range of needs but if you think anything needs to be added or amended, do let me know and will do my best to oblige.
Patrick Hill has kindly agreed to be a co-administrator and moderator, while Dave Waller and Ron Mapplebeck are additional moderators, all hoping for a quiet life in that role.
Thanks to all of these for the inspiration and support in getting the site onto the internet ..... full speed ahead!

Please add a few words to your profile, maybe location and main interests, it makes the site more personal even if your are using a pseudonym.
northeast
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to North East Maritime

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:11 pm

I've been on board here for a few days and loving it already.

May I wish you success and hope I can provide some input with my selection of shipping photographs.

In my collection I have hundreds of images going back to 2007. This was when I returned to England having spent 14 years living in Spain. For four years I had a prime site overlooking the sea in Hartlepool - and had a field day when the town held the Tall Ships' Races, 2010.

Photography is very much my hobby and spend a lot of time in and out of the docks here. Thankfully, I have access to the Fish Quay (thanks to management) and can get some good shots of all vessels berthed at Irvine's Quay, the Deep Water Berth and the Victoria Quay.

Stan - hartlepoolmonkey
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby northeast » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks for your kind words Stan and your contributions (as with many other members) are very welcome, keep them coming!
I think in terms of quality of photography we are head and shoulders above many other forums.
We ain't monkeying around!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Tynesider » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi George

Just found the site as recommended by our good friend Dave Waller and I hope to add a few odd pictures of various shipping both in the Tyne and offshore.

I am not compediting for best picture quality as most are from my motor sailer (Caer Urfa) as I usualy sail single handed.
To take pictures I have one foot on the tiller, one foot jammed against the bulkhead, one hand on a grab rail, and then it's a matter of aim, point, fire!

Mike
Here's an example of my pictures on not so nice a day sailing offshore :D
Up you go!
up you go!!.JPG

And down you go!
and down you go !!.JPG

European Supporter a bit close to me for comfort coming out the downpour last weekend!
DSC_0038b.JPG
Mike
Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider

Postby teesships » Sun May 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Here we are seven years later and still going strong.

Happy 7th birthday to NEM and many continuing thanks to George for keeping things going.

Ron
teesships

Postby shipbroker » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Happy Birthday and thank you for a great site.

Geoff
shipbroker

Re:The Tyne

Postby Tynesider » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Is it me or is the The Tyne site section (like many others) slowing down with posts and photos as others must have noticed.

I have quite a collection of ships both in and offshore the Tyne from 2006 - 2017 taken when I was sailing my own boat
so would these be of interest as I do not want to waste my time posting them (I would have to resize them) or bore the viewers :D or is this section only interested in old photos
Mike
Tynesider

Postby magoonigal » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:21 am

Mike, I'm sure whatever you post will be of interest to many of us. We could probably do with some new input.

Try posting a dozen or so over the next week or so and count the number of hits. Then decide for yourself by the reaction.

If you have Microsoft Office. Open your original Picture, Save As and give it a different name, because you don't want to resize your original, I just add a C to the original. Open your new file in Microsoft Office, Click on "Picture" across the top and click on "Resize". This brings up a panel on the right. Choose "Predefined width and height", click on the "Document Large". This is set at 1024 x 768 and is generally below the limit for posting. If its not you can reduce by percentage, till it is. Save and post!

Sounds a bit long winded but I find it works well......and is quite quick.

Whatever you use to resize, I for one look forward to seeing the results.

Cheers Paul.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:30 am

No problems with any older (not current) photos from the Tyne or its offshore area, Mike.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Tynesider » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Cheers George will have a go but some may suffer slight quality as I was sailing single handed which meant there was no time for technical camera settings

just point and press as one hand on tiller, one hand on shutter button,one knee jammed against the bulkhead and one leg on the deck :D
First one in fishing vessel section today
Mike
Tynesider

Next

Return to General User Information