New and Old Photographs

Enquiries about using the forum

New and Old Photographs

Postby Western Quay King » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 am

Not sure if this is the right place to raise this?

I wonder if in the Tyne Category there could be a separation in the folders to show current and old photographs. In my opinion this would make it easier to follow the current vessels?

Just a thought, so please do not shoot me down in flames :?
Western Quay King

Re: New and Old Photographs

Postby teesships » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

In some ways this enquiry is similar to thoughts I've been having, and I would welcome the views of other Forumites.

There are several of us, myself included, having a great time wallowing in nostalgia posting and viewing photos of ships from around 30 to 50 years ago. At the same time, I and others contribute our present and recent sightings, so we get a flavour of what is around our area in the current century.

At the end of the day we will see in NEM only what our members put in .... but is the mix so far in our first two months what most of us want and enjoy? Or are we putting off potential members in any way through our Forum content?

Don't think we actually have introduced the facility for a poll for NEM, but this may be as close as we get!

So, let's be hearing from you, particularly those of you who are mainly just looking in. And maybe just looking in from time to time and not every day.

Ron
teesships

Postby Whickham » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:24 am

I think this is a good idea, the only issue I can see is where to draw the line between new and old. Yesterday's photo is still new, last month probably still new, last year probably still new. However 2, 3, 5, 10? I think I would go for less than 5 is new. But that is just me.
Edit: Same logic would apply to all the visiting shipping sections.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm

The problem is not letting the site look over-complicated with sub-forums, and everyone will have a different view of what is 'old', to me it would be at least say 25 years as anything less seems like yesterday (except I can't remember what I did this morning). And if the geographical sections remain paramount, it means splitting within each one.

p.s. just spent a few hours catching up with 12 pages of unread posts, after 4 days away.
Must resolve, no more holidays until Peter C reaches Z !! :)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby MadMaxLab » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 pm

My first thought would be one sub-forum for B & W and another for colour but what about those who were using colour in the 60s ? An idea might be pre and post 1980.

You may be able to take a rest soon as I have only scanned my B & W photos up to the beginning of 'L' !! I will be scanning the rest of my photos in the coming months. I have another 60 odd to post then it will be down to the grey funnel line. But I am in a quandry - do I use the Naval forum or continue to post in the areas where the ships were seen ?
MadMaxLab

Postby northeast » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Hello Peter, well we do look forward to seeing the whole set in due course!
As for naval, I think we have resolved to keep them all in the one Naval section where the naval enthusiasts can more easily find them.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Western Quay King » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Hope no one thought that my original post was in any way critical of photographs of 'older ships' becuase it wasn't, indeed it is great to see them and also to see folk prepared to share their images. Someone has suggested anything 'old' as pre 1980 and I would go along with that.

Anyway, good to see it has created a little bit of chatter. :idea:
Western Quay King

Postby Patrick Hill » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm

But WQK, is that pre 80 photos or pre 80 built ships? Just to muddy the water even more :mrgreen:
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:51 pm

I agree George - 25 years is definitely "yesterday" - I think that every ship that I worked on is "new" - but I suspect that many (most?) of them have been scrapped!
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Postby teesships » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm coming round to the view that we leave well alone! After all we are already doing quite nicely after just over two months with nearly 3400 posts covering approaching 2000 topics (which effectively means almost 2000 different ships, with photos - wow!!).
If we're looking for specific ships, or from a specific year, we can always use what to me is a most effective search facility in NEM.

Ron
teesships

Next

Return to General User Information