HMS St Kitts

Shipping of Sunderland and the Wear

HMS St Kitts

Postby brianh » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Thomas Young operated as shipbreakers on the east side of South Dock. The battle class destroyer which was launched by Swan Hunter in 1944 arrived for scrapping on 19 February 1962. She is seen here on 11 April 1962.

Resize of St Kitts 11041962 86.jpg
brianh

Re: HMS St Kitts

Postby northeast » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:57 pm

On the stocks at Bartrams at right, the unmistakeable EGTON for Headlam.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Brian,

Although I am by no means a naval enthusiast I am very pleased to see your photo. By the time I saw her on 8 August 1962 there was very little of her left, although enough for me to record her as D18 in my notebook!

And, yes, George, my previous sighting that very same day was my own first of the EGTON.

Ron
teesships

Postby E28 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Is the location where St Kitts was scrapped by Thomas Young, be the same where W.H. Arnott Young were breaking ships in the 1950's, 1955 to be precise.
Or was Arnott Young at Hudson Dock North.

Also, on another tack, did the shipping company Ellerman & Papayanni Lines Ltd ever have a warehouse somewhere in the Sunderland Docks area.
If not, anywhere else on the North East Coast.
Again, very time specific, mid 1950's.

Thanks for any assistance or guidance.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Postby magoonigal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:32 am

Sean,

I'm not a Sunderland expert but the ONLY shipbreakers mentioned in the 1950 and 1955 Port Handbooks are Thomas Young & Sons (Shipbreakers) Ltd, South Docks, Sunderland.
All the Docks to the South of the River were and still are know as the South Docks.

The Quay used by Youngs was actually in Hudson Dock North and is the one shown in Brian's Picture.

Enter Sunderland Harbour and enter the Swinging Basin, turn to Port past Greenwells and enter the North Half Tide Basin using No1 Gate. Turn slightly to Starboard and pass into the Hudson Dock North via No 3 Gate and Youngs is the first Quay on the Port (Seaward or East) Side.

As far as I know Arnott Young were associated with the West of Scotland Ship Breaking Company and operated from Dalmuir.

Soooooooooo is this a case of someone seeing the name 'Youngs' and assuming its 'Arnott Young' without checking.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby E28 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Thanks Paul for that, although i had mentioned Hudson Dock North, where St Kitts lies in the image.
The reason for my question was that a number of ex RN ships were broken up at Sunderland during the 1950's, and assorted details re Youngs frequently contradict one another, some say T.J., others Arnott, the latter as you confirm being false.
Just needed that clarification and confirmation, so wherever we see Arnott, delete and substitute with T.J.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Postby northeast » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:43 am

If I recall correctly, many ships were actually bought by BISCO (British Iron & Steel) on behalf of a consortium of private steel makers who wanted the scrap steel, and then allocated to the various breakers on basis of a share of the proceeds, it is possible that vessels were recorded as allocated to Young, Arnott, Ward etc and then swopped between breakers later.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:54 pm

That's correct George, but in that case it usually says "Bought by BISC and allocated to........Metal Industries, Wards etc.

Ian Buxton is our expert on Shipbreaking.

This is quite an interesting site although it does not list all the smaller breakers, like Mr Potts who broke up the Satellite.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBri ... pbreak.htm
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Whickham » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:43 pm

Just come across this splendid view over the top of Young's yard plus NEM next door, Bartrams at the very top and RWC at the very bottom. Looks like three warships being broken up. Date of photo is 23/10/1946.

Young23101946.jpg
Photographer unknown
Dave
Whickham

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 pm

It’s a good job we stripped the Bofors off the old War Canoes at Bellerophon, after years being stored in some Warehouse/Old Hangers for years they came in handy in 1982 for the journey South. “Failure to prepare is to prepare to fail”
Hornbeam

Return to The Wear