View from Readhead's "Gut"

View from Readhead's "Gut"

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Looking upriver from Readhead's "Gut" - more correctly, River Street, on a typically murky Tyneside day in 1962. I probably spent far more of my childhood wandering about places like this than I should have but it was always interesting. Everything in the picture, Ore Quay, Tanker Cleaning Berth and Whitehill Point has vanished or been completely transformed.
Ore Quay, Tanker Cleaning Berth & Readhead's Gut - River Street, 1962 _2_1.jpg
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Re: View from Readhead's "Gut"

Postby magoonigal » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:37 am

An unusual view looking along the jetty that guarded the entrance to Tyne Dock. It didn't really stick out into the River but ran parallel to the Quay, and enclosed a Tidal Basin of 5.75 Acres.
at the time, Tyne Dock had a Water Area of approx. 49 Acres. Length of Quayage in dock was 2,950 feet, excluding the coal staith and Riverside Quays were 867 feet and 450 feet. The Tidal Entrance was 70 feet wide and maximum Depth at the centre on the sill was 34.5 feet at High Water Ordinary Spring Tide.
The Lock was 315 feet long with a bottom width of 52 feet and a top width of 60 feet. Depth of water at H. W. O. S. T. on the outer and inner sill was 25.75 feet at centre.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Re: View from Readhead's "Gut"

Postby creemaster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Likewise Dennis
Would be taken down on the river by my dad to deliver orders to the ships, mainly colliers, and one of my first memories is walking down the North Staithes at Blyth. We had the contract for Shipping & Coal and both of us once went to the Thames with stores for GREENLAND. When I was older I would be sent out during the holidays on my bike to get the orders. No mobile phones or AIS, although we did invest in VHF recievers in the early 1980s.
To your photo
On the ore berth Silver Line's SILVERSAND and at Whitehill Point SIR WILLIAM WALKER or one of his/her brothers/sisters. Personal favourite SIR JOHN SNELL, watched her from the East Pier at Blyth 1978/79 sailing loaded, probably the only ship I have seen from the opposite side of the river.
Regards
Graham
creemaster

Return to Tyne River Views