Hawthorn Leslie (Engineers) Ltd - St Peter's

Re: Hawthorn Leslie (Engineers) Ltd - St Peter's

Postby Whickham » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Well, I stand corrected. Although the article does relate to 1906.
Dave
Whickham

Postby tynebuoy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:20 pm

We've been trying to correct you for years and now you go and do it yourself. I have an old map (1900) that shows cranes to the left of the photo.
tynebuoy

Postby Whickham » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:46 pm

and here is a section of an old OS map 1895 showing the cranes that young Kev mentioned.

St Peters.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby Rivoldini » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Some shore side views of H-Ls

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg
Rivoldini

Postby magoonigal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Well I seem to have started something this morning! 8-) But the UP SIDE is two extra Yard Pictures from Ron. GREAT!

Two of the answer's are in the background of Ron's first picture. It would appear that "The Titans" were used extensively to load and transport Engine Parts and Boilers to the Yards. However Hawthorn's also had an 80 Ton Sheerlegs which may have been removed by the time the Turners Picture was taken.
To get some idea of the weights involved, the SS CANADIAN had the largest engine supplied by the St Peters works and the combined tonnage of Boilers and Engine was 1,035 tons.
The smallest set for the twin screw tug ACTIVE was 167 tons.
All engines would be assembled in the Works then run to make sure all was well. They would then be dismantled and fitted bit by bit into the Hull whilst fitting out took place using the Titan.
The position of the 80 Ton was at the bottom of the yard by the "Tower" which can be seen in the first picture.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby magoonigal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Opps Sorry, Forgot Dave's Map which also shows what was on the other side of the River as well.

All good stuff....

:ugeek:
magoonigal

Postby Whickham » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:58 am

Paul, you say "They would then be dismantled and fitted bit by bit into the Hull whilst fitting out took place using the Titan" and the fitting out took place at Hebburn I presume?

Also "at the bottom of the yard by the "Tower" which can be seen in the first picture" and by bottom you mean the far right of the photo?

So by the date of the photo (1957) there were no crane facilities at St Peter's, so no reason to bring vessels up to St Peter's for the engines to be fitted. Alternatively the practice of bringing vessels up to St Peter's had stopped and there was no need for the cranes so they were removed (at some date).

Seems strange to rely on TITAN II for all these activities since she was not owned by them. They didn't even seem to have smaller cranes to lift engine parts into barges or workboats to take them to the yard.

North Eastern Marine and Wallsend Slipway who were also engine builders on the river saw the need to build expensive hammer head cranes, but not Hawthorn Leslie?

So we are back to either TITAN II going up and down river or road transport (or rail?).
Dave
Whickham

Postby magoonigal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:08 am

Paul, you say "They would then be dismantled and fitted bit by bit into the Hull whilst fitting out took place using the Titan" and the fitting out took place at Hebburn I presume?

Yes or at whichever yard were having Hawthorn' Engines fitted.

Also "at the bottom of the yard by the "Tower" which can be seen in the first picture" and by bottom you mean the far right of the photo?
Yes. Not 100% sure of its exact location but comparing pictures it appear to have been on the Triangle of Quay to the right of the first photograph. Start right Middle and work left and you should see where I mean. On the 18th May 1951 Titan II removed the 80 ton Sheerlegs from the St Peter's Works.

Seems strange to rely on TITAN II for all these activities since she was not owned by them. They didn't even seem to have smaller cranes to lift engine parts into barges or workboats to take them to the yard.
Well your part right. They did not own TITAN 1 but TITAN 11 was part owned by them.
TITAN CRANE LTD was set up on the 1st May 1922. Swan Hunter had 4,150 Shares, Hawthorn Leslie 4,000 and Wallsend Slipway 1,450. The Directors, Richard Lakeman and F J Culley plus Sir A J C Ross and T E Thirlaway held 100 each to provide the necessary quorum at Meetings. So Hawthorns had no need to build additional carnage.

Think that covers most points. :D

Information from "A Work of Titans" by Brian Newman.
magoonigal

Postby Whickham » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks Paul, very clear response.

I'm glad that Hawthorn Leslie didn't need additional "CARNAGE", they must have thought there would be enough carnage in Hebburn with Kevin around.
Dave
Whickham

Postby magoonigal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot edit that one now or nobody will see the joke!!
magoonigal

PreviousNext

Return to Tyne River Views