T.I.C. hopper No.21

T.I.C. hopper No.21

Postby Keelman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:13 pm

TIC hopper etc. .jpg
Weak winter sunshine illuminates this scene captured in January 1967.
A pair of Tyne Improvement Commission stalwarts are going about the tasks they were designed to undertake, in this instance off Harton Staiths, South Shields, where doubtless there would be ample bucketfulls of silt and gunge waiting to be dealt with.
Of interest in the picture is the gaggle of local tugs gathered at one of their favourite spots while awaiting their next turn of duty.
The tanker BORDER MINSTREL is receiving attention alongside Brigham & Cowan's drydock, while at Tyne Dock Engineering Co. Ltd. there seems plenty of work in hand. (Is that the black funnel of a G.S.N. Co. vessel?)
The eagle-eyed might spot the lantern of a lightship lurking between two masts!

The steam hopper T.I.C. No.21 was completed in 1923 at Hebburn by Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co. Ltd. She worked until handed over to local shipbreakers Clayton & Davie in 1970.
The bucket dredger T.I.C. No.9 had no propelling machinery, she was completed in 1923 by Fleming & Ferguson at Paisley. It would seem logical to have her broken up locally after she was withdrawn from service in 1967 but I can't verify this happened.
Keelman

Re: T.I.C. hopper No.21

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:20 am

Super view, very atmospheric! Most GSNC vessels had a more raked funnel top than this one seems to have, but can't quite pin her down ... also racking my brain (such as it is) over the coaster with the distinctive white riband, thought of Fishers but again nothing found to quite match.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Keelman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 pm

mvblisw.jpg
mvblisw.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
George
I feel sure the funnel belongs to a G.S.N. vessel, not only that I think the coaster with the white riband could be from the same stable. I venture to suggest she is the BLISWORTH
Comparison of my photo with the attached image shows that the starboard side window of her bridge is slightly smaller than the other two, and those angular looking lifeboat davits are apparent on both photo's.
Blisworth was built in 1957 at Aberdeen by Halls, for the Grand Union Co. (Sg) London. She passed into G.S.N. ownership in 1965 (name unchanged) and remained there until 1971. During this time she would have aquired the white riband carried by that company's vessels.

Regards

Malcolm
Keelman

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:42 pm

I think you are right there Malcolm with BLISWORTH, but have never come across a photo of her with the riband.

http://clydeships.co.uk/view.php?year_b ... =BLISWORTH

Wasn't suggesting the other isn't GNSC, just that I cant pin her down.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:36 pm

coasters-remembered.net includes a photo of the BLISWORTH from the Richard Cox collection displaying the white band.

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks Ron, Richard seems to have missed me with that one!
northeast
Site Admin

Return to Tyne River Views