COQUET MOUTH (1926)

Shipping from Berwick to Amble

COQUET MOUTH (1926)

Postby Keelman » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:39 pm

IMG_5027 z jpg.jpg
IMG_5025 z .jpg
Judging by its pristine condition, and the date mentioned in the text, I guess this panel has just recently been attached to the railings near the entrance to Warkworth Harbour
Seen during a stroll this afternoon
IMG_5023 z .jpg
Keelman

Re: COQUET MOUTH (1926)

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:54 am

Very similar to the TCC No 10 also being a Self Propelled Bucket Dredger, unlike Suction Dredgers the Main Engine(s) were not used (not in my time) whilst doing the act of Bucket Dredging the Prop being disconnected from the Main Engine buy means of a Dog Clutch as was the drive from the Main Engine to the Top Tumbler.
I suppose they both could be driven at the same time by the very large Compound Engine by means of engaging both Dog Clutches on either side of the Main Engine although No 10 had her Navigation Bridge removed which was I understand in the Top Tumbler area there was no call for it. As indicated on another Forum her Prop and Shafting was later removed with the Stern Tube Blanked off.
I can’t quite make out if this particular Dredger had an operational Bridge next to the Top Tumbler although there is a structure there which could be an Open Bridge?
Hornbeam

Return to The Northumbrian Coast