Hartlepool Marina

Shipping of the Hartlepools

Hartlepool Marina

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:09 am

I was over at the Marina yesterday the place is getting quite packed with various craft including some 'Gin Palaces', the old HDML is looking smart in her new coat of white paint and double glazed windows, not sure I would like the idea of having the large commercial wind farm vessel's moored near my wooden/ grp pride and joy. :|
Hornbeam

Re: Hartlepool Marina

Postby northeast » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Have we had details/photo of the HDML on here, what is her history?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:12 pm

G.E. N.E. she is called Marica (ex ML 1257) and has been in Hartlepool for many years even before the Marina was a Marina, she has had a number of Owners over the years who have made alterations to her to suit their liveaboard requirements meaning that her Topsides looking nothing like as built but bearing in mind her age (built 1942) she is doing well fortunately when built she was copper bottomed I understand. Had an active War career in the Med, the details and photographs of her can be found on the National Historic Ships UK.
Hornbeam

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:14 am

Great stuff Stan I thought you would come up with the goods as I unfortunately forgot my camera on Monday. When she first came to Hartlepool I went over to have a look at her, she had been converted by Berthon into a rather smart seagoing Motor Yacht and was moored at the Jetty which now has the Pub built on it. Over the years she has not moved very far and is now moored to a pontoon opposite about 40ft away from where she was first moored all those years ago. Although her appearance has changed since then it is great news that her Owners are prepared to put their time and money into preserving a piece of R.N. history.
The Medusa on the other hand has certainly had some good luck and a good Lottery Plea Writer to be awarded £1million by the Lottery Fund for her renovation a few years ago, a remarkable sum by any standard.
The HDML's were of course the forerunner of the Ford Class in the role of the defence of Ports and Anchorages. Ron@2
Hornbeam

Return to Hartlepool