Edward Withy & Co

Edward Withy & Co

Postby Roraima » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:29 pm

My wife and I have purchased a B&B in Staithes. It is named after a ship built by Edward Withy & Co in Hartlepool in 1879. According to the search engine on the North East Maritime site, it was built in Yard No 79. I would like to learn as much as I can about the history of the ship, and the yard where it was built. Any information will be greatly appreciated. The ship ( and our B&B ) is named the Roraima.
Roraima

Re: Edward Withy & Co

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Good to hear of your interest, all we have on her is on the Tees-built website which also covers Hartlepool.
She had a short life of 10 years, but not unusual in that period.

Link to

http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/view.ph ... el=RORAIMA
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Derek Hinds » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:55 pm

The RORAIMA was launched on 22/2/1879 and completed 4/1879, by E.Withy at Middleton, Hartlepool. Yard No 79. She was of 1,178 gross tons, length of 225 feet, beam of 31 ft. Her engine was a 2cyl steam compound built by T Richardson & sons, West Hartlepool. The cylinder sizes were:- 27" - 50" with a stroke of 33".
She was wrecked in a hurricane at St. Kitts on 23/9/1889, whilst on a voyage from London to the West Indies with a general cargo.
If you try the Hartlepool History Then & Now website:- http://www.hhtandn.org/venues/4934/steel - young-and-co you will find more information on the company. Unfortunately, I can't trace any picture of the ship to date.
Derek Hinds

Postby Whickham » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Information on the Withy companies at: http://www.hhtandn.org/hartlepool-ships ... s-shipyard
Dave
Whickham

Postby Derek Hinds » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:27 pm

I have come across a bit more info on the shipwreck at St Kitts, but alas no picture of the ship.
‘A patent rocket was fired from the ship to the shore and the crew made their escape by that means.
The personal belongings, ship’s papers and instruments were also saved. No lives lost.
The master at the time was named Clarke’
Derek Hinds

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am

Sadly, the link to the Hartlepool History Now & Then page, with information on the vessel RORAIMA, is showing an error. I have reported it to the department who looks after their website.
Stan
hartlepoolmonkey

Re: Roraima

Postby CLYDEBRAE » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:20 pm

The launch at the Middleton shipyard was reported as follows:-
"
On Saturday ... launched ... a finely-modelled iron screw steamer, which has been built to the order of Mr.George Steel, and under his personal superintendence for Messrs.Steel, Young and Co., of London and West Hartlepool. This vessel is no.79 in the builders yard, is the twelfth launched by them for the same owners, and was christened "Roraima" by Miss Charlotte P. Steel. Her principal dimensions are 225ft by 31ft by 17ft 2.5inches and she has long quarter-deck, bridge, and top-gallant forecastle, water ballast in both holds, iron decks, and iron Liverpool house for passengers. The rails round main and quarter decks are built of iron, and the vessel will be schooner rigged. The engines are of 100 horse power, and supplied by the well known marine engineers, Messrs.T.Richardson and Son, of Hartlepool Ironworks"

Named after a region of Brazil, which borders on Venezuela and Guyana, she spent much of her life trading to, what was then, British Guiana, the Caribbean and Eastern seaboard of the USA. Her maiden voyage,however, saw her loaded in Middlesbrough for Bombay. She departed Middlesbrough having arrived in ballast from Hartlepool on 12th April 1879. She called in at Malta on 3rd May transiting Suez, by then open for 10 years, before arriving Bombay on 25th May. After discharge, her final port of loading seems to have been Moulmein, Burma (now Mawlamyine, Myanmar), arriving Bordeaux 22nd August, before UK.

She was then advertised for loading at Shed 5, West India Dock, London, closing for cargo 9th September, on what was to become a regular run, calling at Dartmouth for mail before proceeding Demerara.

Her master for her first two voyages, and by the looks of it a company man, was Captain George Picot
CLYDEBRAE

Postby Roraima » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 pm

I am very grateful for the responses. They have provided me with much information and directed me to other sources that can possibly help me learn more about our namesake. I would like to thank the people who have shared their information and suggested sites to investigate. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Roraima specifically, but also the history of shipbuilding in the 19th century.
Roraima

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 am

The Hartlepool History Then and Now site error has been corrected and details of RORAIMA can now be seen. However, no photograph of the vessel:

http://www.hhtandn.org/hartlepool-ships-and-shipping/shipbuilding/206/Withy%27s%20shipyard/ship/1745/roraima
Stan
hartlepoolmonkey

Return to Shipbuilding at Hartlepool