50 YEARS AGO TODAY - 10 August 1962 - BLENDA

From South Gare to Stockton

50 YEARS AGO TODAY - 10 August 1962 - BLENDA

Postby teesships » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Arising from the topic WORLD DALE and River Tyne sightings:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4818&hilit=world+dale
Rivoldini Ron informed us: BLENDA arrived on the 6th from Aalborg with cargo and passengers to berth 16 and later moved up to berth 9 to load cargo and passengers for Copenhagen, sailing on the 9th. Correcting the wrong impression I had formed from something he had told me in the past, clearly my sighting of her on the Tyne on 8 August 1962 was when she shifted berth along Newcastle Quay, under tow by the look of it.
What Ron's book failed to record was that she did not head straight for Copenhagen on the 9th, she first had to pop into the Tees and I was there to photograph her again! By the look of it, just arriving off Tyne-Tees/Dent's Wharves. For some reason I could not find any print of this view, nor does it seem to have appeared previously in TEESSHIPS, so forced to scan from the original negative with, I feel, pretty good results.
blenda100862.jpg
BLENDA (5046310): DFDS. Denmark, 1481gt, completed Frederickshavn 11-1956.
1972 GENERAL SANTOS CITY (Philippines), 12-1976 sank after fire and explosion.
(Miramar: fire 24.12.76 & sank 7nm NE San Nicolas Shoals 27.12.76 [Manila-Zamboanga, passengers])
Incidentally, another sighting on the 10th had also made a similar trip south since the 8th, that was the coaster SAPPEMEER. Not recorded photographically on either occasion.
Ron
PS: Ron, it was absolute murder crossing all those bumpy rail tracks in my pushchair!!!!
teesships

Return to The Tees