Shipbreaking on the Tees

From South Gare to Stockton

Re: Shipbreaking on the Tees

Postby CLYDEBRAE » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm

In answer to Hornbeam, whilst no longer living on Teesside I continue to be a regular visitor and spent most of my working life in Middlesbrough. George mentioned the "Union" having been Smith Hogg's "Rowanburn". I was associated with Smith Hogg for over 30 years, and a director of the company for many of them. It was my interest in the "Rowanburn" which prompted a closer look at the South Stockton Shipbreaking Co. Ltd.

Smith Hogg & Co Ltd were founded in 1904 and Herbert Hogg, one of its two founders, jotted down some of his memoirs in 1966 at the age of 87. You may be interested in these comments of his:-
"The "Rowanburn" we sold to Cardiff owners in 1929 and they attempted to lose her by putting her ashore on the Norwegian coast. [for further info, she grounded near Harstad when returning from one of the Kara Sea expeditions on charter to the Soviets]. She came to Tyne Dock Engineering for repairs and we had to foreclose - which we should have done at the port of discharge, when we could have collared the freight. As it was we had to put her through [Lloyd's Register] survey, which cost us £6,000, and since she could make no money under British flag owing to high insurance costs we put her under Finnish flag, calling her "Union". We made money and got our losses back and sold her for breaking in 1936."

Herbert Hogg also kept voyage records which record the "Union" as follows:-
Sailed Amsterdam 4/3/36 1am - stranded breakwater
Arrived Lisbon 10/3/36
Entered drydock Lisbon for temporary repairs 12/3/36 pm
Departed Lisbon 24/3/36
Arrived London 30/3/36 4am
Sailed London after discharge 1/4/36 6pm
Arrived Hartlepool 3/4/36 am
Docked at Grays
Sold

By going to Grays suggests it was thought repairs may have been economic but obviously not and she moved round to Thornaby for demolition.

Haven't checked if the link to the photo in the Stockton Archive is one of those taken by Aerofilms, but, if you haven't looked, there are some interesting shots over Stockton and Thornaby, taken in the period mid 1920's to say 1950, on the website "britainfromabove.org.uk", which has around 95,000 images (from a collection of over 1 million negatives) available on-line.
CLYDEBRAE

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:53 am

Thank You for the information Clydebrae, £6,000 was a tidy sum in those days, I have seen some photographs which I believe were taken by aircraft from Thornaby between the Wars and I will follow up your suggestion. Regards, Ron@2
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:10 am

The linked webpage did inlcude someone suggesting that it might be one of the German warships refloated from Scapa Flow .... I have no source for the disposal of these wrecks for final breaking.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:55 pm

D151266E-10FE-4353-9148-2CF61318CBB4.jpeg

This LCT was built by Stockton Construction then went to another Yard for conversion to a LCG, she is now a Museum Ship.
Sorry about the garbage around the image as I was trying to get my first image on Site down to an acceptable size :!:
She had an interesting time Post War.
Hornbeam

Postby CLYDEBRAE » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Although Stockton Archive suggest the photo to which George refers was taken ca. 1930 - I am pretty sure it dates from the end of April 1924 - possibly very early in May that year.

The image is on the Britainfromabove site and dated April 1924. A number of images were taken, likely on the same flight, and one of them (image EPW010281) I am confident substantiates the date.

In it you can see "Bridgepool" at Ropner's North Shore yard, looking close to, or ready for sea, "Paddington" fitting out, and "Taunton". on the stocks of Craig Taylor's yard opposite. "Rochdale" is on the stocks, downstream also on the Thornaby side, and one of Richardson Duck's last newbuildings. All identified with the help of Teesbuiltships.

The warship up near Victoria Bridge can be seen in the distance. Haven't a clue what it is but pinning down the date better might help others?
CLYDEBRAE

Postby E28 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:00 pm

This is the LCT you refer to Hornbeam
http://www.hnsa.org/hnsa-ships/ins-af-al-pi-chen
It is included in here...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20510
and a warm welcome to this forum and thanks for your contributions.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 am

E28, yes, that is the vessel and I am pleased that the one in rebuild at Pompey will be used to bring people's attention to the brave Crews of these Vessels who were in the thick of it when Beach Landings took place. As I am new to this Site thank you for the "Heads Up" in regards to previous comments about these Vessels and Stockton Construction which I missed due to not being familiar with the Site search engine. Thank You for your welcome also. Regards.Ron@2.
Hornbeam

Previous

Return to The Tees