50 YEARS AGO TODAY - CITY OF CHESTER

From South Gare to Stockton

50 YEARS AGO TODAY - CITY OF CHESTER

Postby teesships » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Middlesbrough Dock - 6 August 1962
A run of the mill view, for those days, of ships at no. 10 quay in Middlesbrough Dock but significant to me because this was the first ship photo I took with my then brand new Box Brownie camera! A great improvement, pending acquisition of a 35mm camera in 1966, on my dad's old (out of focus) bellows camera!
CITY OF CHESTER (5073583), The City Line Ltd., Glasgow (Ellerman Group), 8380gt, completed Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, 3-1944. 1971 CHESTER (Greek), BU Whampoa 10.71.
cofchester.jpg
In those days I had to eke out the use of film according to the constraints of my limited pocket money by concentrating on what I thought were the most interesting of the ships sighted. Thus, I otherwise ignored the ship astern of the CITY OF CHESTER! She was the KWONG CHEUNG, Panama, 3775gt, built 1947. If, on that day, I had known she was built only a couple of miles away at Smith's Dock Co. Ltd., South Bank, Middlesbrough, my ship photography recording history may have been different!! She was launched as LIEUTENANT PIERRE MERIC, promoted before completion to CAPITAINE PIERRE MERIC, which name she carried right through to 1962, the year of this photo. She became STEPHANIE (Panama) in 1971 but was damaged by collision in August 1971 and broken up later that year. (But a number of nice photos of her under her original name at: http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/smiths/ ... ic1947.htm)

Ron
teesships

Return to The Tees