NELLIST & SONS

NELLIST & SONS

Postby teesships » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:25 pm

A blast from the past!
Items posted on the Memories of Middlesbrough (and other similar sites) Facebook page by Ben Reche.
Nellist.jpg
Leeds Sun.jpg
Leeds Sun x2.jpg
I vaguely remember them as still being in operation when my interest started in 1960 (although I could be wrong!!) but I do not recall seeing any of their vessels, if they were still running them by then. Corporation Dock is adjacent to the Transporter Bridge, now the new location of the Tees Harbour Office, based in the former Fire Brigade building.

Ron
teesships

Re: NELLIST & SONS

Postby northeast » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:15 am

Very interesting, Ron. Have not checked them all in CLIP but LEEDS SUN was from Henry Scarr at Hessle in 1915, 62.2ft towing barge for Selby Warehousing & Transport Co. Ltd., reg. at Hull 30/09/1915.
By 1930 owned by Peter Spence & Sons Ltd., Manchester but managed from Goole Alum Works.
Reg. at Middlesbrough 1931 and by 1940 owned by Nellist.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 am

MOODY (146884) was from CWG Beverley in 1924 for Great Grimsby Coal, Salt & Tanning Co.
SWEEP (135927) assume this one, Dutch built and reg. at Ipswich 1916
REONORA (146929) assumed, reg. Sunderland in 1924, in 1930/40 owned at south Shields, CLIP has no place of build :(
northeast
Site Admin

Postby shipbroker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Lovely stuff....in the late 50's,early 60's, I used to fish with a chap called 'Old' Bob, who worked on the one remaining sand barge. Often when I was working visiting ships on No.6 or Ichaboe Buoys he would pass sitting on the stern and holding up a nice plaice or dab from Seal Sands ( as it used to be)...

geoff
shipbroker

Postby magoonigal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:58 pm

Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby taximan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Two craft not mentioned, Lady Ina, she berthed by the transporter bridge early in the sixties. She was an old Humber Keel I believe. She was one of the sand wherry's working from Seaton Snook to Britannia wharf. I made a couple of trips downriver on her when I was 13 or so. The fare was a packet of chocolate biscuits per trip which I thought very reasonable even though I had to work my passage trimming the sand on the way back upriver. The other craft was was 'Rachel', An old steam barge which cant have seen a lick of paint since Adam was a lad. I think there may have been another craft similar to 'Lady Ina' though slightly larger, but she vanished from the scene long before the lady. As to Sweep & Moody, Wasn't one of them sunk by a shell from a German aircraft during the war. I have a vague recollection of a patch being pointed out to me at some time. There was also a mention of it in the 'On The Waterfront column in the gazette in the early sixties. as was an article about the Lady Ina.
Last edited by taximan on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby teesships » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember the LADY INA. She must have joined the fleet later than those detailed in the company advert above.

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Based on new info, I have added/amended them in the shipbuilding sites, thanks Taximan!

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... sel=RACHEL

http://shippingandshipbuilding.uk/view. ... vessel=INA
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Certainly remember the Sweep although not the Company she was owned by, I have mentioned in another forum about munitions being dredged up and Seaton Snook was one of the areas that some of it came from, the whole of that area was one big sandbank, it swallowed up a Cargo Fleet Works owned Hopper when it settled there, the vessel had to be dug out when they widened the river in later years. This large area of sandbank was also used as a Bombing/ Firing Range by aircraft mainly from RAF Thornaby. No10 was used to Dredge the Snook up to Grays, normally crews provided their own food but I seem to remember that when dredging up there a stock of food in tins was held on board due to being often fog bound and stuck aboard. The bonus of course was waiting for the Pay Clerk aka "Golden Eagle" to come aboard with his leather bag to see how much you had been paid for this inconvenience, very few people had Bank Accounts so it was all in cash (less Tax) I often wondered how much was in the bag when the Pay Clerk set off from Queens Square. Any info Ron M.?
Hornbeam

Postby teesships » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Ah, yes, the wages run on a Thursday.
See: viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14271 for mention of this and how my camera joined in on occasions. What I didn't mentioon was ending up at the Graving Dock for a cup of strong hot Oxo - not my favourite tipple by any means!
How much was in the bag I have no idea. Back then all but office staff were paid weekly in cash, maybe cheque if requested. It has always stuck in my mind that back circa 1964 a fully qualified fitter employed at the Graving Dock by TCC earned 280/- (£14) a week. TCC were never regarded as the most generous of employers!! One of the things I had to do on an almost yearly basis was to ring round other local employers with whom my boss had contacts to find out what they were currently paying their people.
The big battle was to come a few years after TCC and others were absorbed into the new THPA set up. It was around 1971 as I recall we spent a lot of time negotiating the change over to monthly pay through a bank. It took a while, but the Authority eventually got there!

Ron M
teesships

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Port Craft