Cargo Fleet Hoppers

Cargo Fleet Hoppers

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:22 am

Any info on these please, there was certainly one still working when I was on the River, she was loading Slag from a chute next to the Graving Dock and named Cargo Fleet No?. Apparently Cargo Fleet lost another Hopper during the War which ended up beached on the North Gare sands and was gradually swallowed up a bit like the Goodwin's. As I have mentioned on another forum what was left of her was recovered when they widened the river, apparently her steelwork was still in good condition.
Hornbeam

Re: Cargo Fleet Hoppers

Postby teesships » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:55 am

CARGO FLEET NO. 3 - see: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2270

Ron M
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 am

Just this minute found her Teesships 8-) missed the page she was on, need to go to Spec-savers
Hornbeam

Postby taximan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Hornbeam wrote:Any info on these please, there was certainly one still working when I was on the River, she was loading Slag from a chute next to the Graving Dock and named Cargo Fleet No?. Apparently Cargo Fleet lost another Hopper during the War which ended up beached on the North Gare sands and was gradually swallowed up a bit like the Goodwin's. As I have mentioned on another forum what was left of her was recovered when they widened the river, apparently her steelwork was still in good condition.

The Tees Floating Crane was used to lift some of the larger pieces, (mid sixties if my memory serves). The crew of the crane managed to 'rescue' various items of copper & brass. I remember buying a new bike with my share of the ill gotten gains. ;)
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 pm

Taximan, thanks for your confirmation in regards to the recovery of the Cargo Fleet Hopper. Scrap collecting was a bonus of the job for the Deck lads especially when they Dredged the Furness Yard Basin!
Hornbeam

Return to Miscellaneous Port Craft