Tees Fire Boat 1953

Tees Fire Boat 1953

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 am

Tees-Fireboat-1953.jpg
Can anyone shed any light on this?

A friend sent it to me and shows a Tees Fire Boat in 1953. On the side of the vessel is a banner which is advertising a film showing at the Odeon cinema back then called "Sea Devils".
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Re: Tees Fire Boat 1953

Postby teesships » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Stan,

Some years back Ron Henderson from Tyneside sent me this view of the Tees firefloat, with a nice selection of shipping at Tyne-Tees/Dent's Wharves.
firefloat.jpg

I showed it on my TEESSHIPS website and Neil Mearns subsequently provided the following information:
She was one of a class of 15 or 16 "Estuarial Fire Boats" constructed for the National Fire Service in England and Wales during 1943/44 to supplement a wide variety of non-standard craft already in existence (I believe three additional similar craft were stationed on the River Clyde). Although most of the craft were named, it appears that this vessel was not, but was known by her N.F.S. designation "Estuarial Fire Boat No. 35" and her alternative N.F.S. Serial Number "Fire Boat 476."
"Estuarial Fire Boat No. 35" and her sisters were 52 feet in length, propelled by twin 100 h.p. Chrysler engines and equipped with four heavy firefighting pumps capable of delivering 2,800 gallons of water per minute. I have not yet discovered who built her. She entered commission on 18th July, 1943, being allocated to the N.F.S. No. 2 Fire Force Area and was stationed at Middlesbrough. She remained in service after the war, being transferred to Middlesbrough County Borough Fire Brigade on 1st April, 1948 when the provision of fire services was returned to local authority control on a nationwide basis. She was disposed of some years later, being replaced by more modern craft.

Ron
Last edited by teesships on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced missing image
teesships

Postby northeast » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

I have a vague memory of a craft like this being based in the small dock inlet just above the Transporter Bridge .... was that her?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:51 pm

George,

From one vague memory to another! Yes, I think so!

Ron
teesships

Postby Rivoldini » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 pm

The vessel did indeed live next to the Transporter Bridge because Middlesbrough Fire Brigades marine fire station was there. The boat was 'dual manned' meaning the firemen manned both a fire engine and the float. If the crew were at a land fire and the float was needed they had to be hastily relieved and race back to the station for it. The same system operated at South Shields but the Newcastle one was manned whole time.
Rivoldini

Return to Miscellaneous Port Craft