RNYC For info..

Blyth shipping past and present

RNYC For info..

Postby magoonigal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 am

As someone who has previously during this year expressed an interest in our House Yacht 'Tyne' previously designated LV 50 by Trinity House I thought you would like to be advised of our progress with regards to our bid for Heritage Lottery Funding
to preserve and maintain her for future generations and make her more accessible to the General public.

We will formally submit our bid for stage 1 funding to Heritage Lottery this week and a decision can be expected during early April next year.
The purpose of this stage 1 bid is to seek financial support to allow a full investigation of all the problems we have on the vessel. This will lead to a very full and costed specification which we can then use to proceed next year to stage 2 of the bid which is for the full amount needed to preserve her. It is not expected that work on this preservation will start before 2015 at the earliest subject to our being successful at both stages of our bid.

Within our project, we will be looking to replace the stem (bow) of the vessel, re- caulk all of the deck and hull seams to ensure watertight integrity, repair or replace any metalwork and to manufacture a replica lantern which can be hoisted onto the mast showing how she originally looked when she went into service in 1880. She will then be repainted.

As part of this project and perhaps most importantly, because her records were lost during the 2nd world war, we will undertake an intensive investigation of both available records and archeologically through a thorough digital and manual survey, her construction and the methods used, her service history and crews, who built her and where she was built and these findings will be made available for future generations. We will also be looking to open her up to study groups be they interested historical societies or indeed schools where her history and service may be incorporated into a number of curriculum subjects. In this regard, we will be forming a 'Friends of LV 50' Group to help us bring all this to fruition and we hope you will continue your early interest in her by joining this group when formed.

Should you have any questions or would just like to discuss our progress in a little more depth, please feel free to contact me in the first instance through my email address. We will keep you informed of our progress.

Thank you once again for your interest in our grand old lady and we look forward to meeting with you soonest

Mike Wade
Vice Commodore=
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Re: RNYC For info..

Postby Whickham » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 am

I guess she was something like:-

http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/L-Ships ... 01888.html

but probably built "down south"
Dave
Whickham

Return to Blyth