Working cargo at Blyth

Blyth shipping past and present

Working cargo at Blyth

Postby Whickham » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:48 pm

A busy day at Blyth, although most people seem to be standing around watching (is it ever thus). Everards STABILITY in the distance and a Dutch built (acorns on the mast tops as we have recently been told) coaster. Looks as though a heavy lift is underway, on or off I can't tell. Some period piece cars and lorries on the quay as well. More crates on trucks further down the quay suggests that they are loading rather than discharging.

Photographer unknown

Stability-2.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Re: Working cargo at Blyth

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Looks like the mighty British Road Services delivering the crated goods for export. Will try the coaster on our Dutch friends.
From small acorns .... etc.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:34 pm

A Dutch coaster with, seemingly, three masts? A most unusual, if not almost unique, configuration. Or is the aftermost mast from another coaster alongside? (the different colouring might suggest this is the case?)

Ron
teesships

Postby Patrick Hill » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:44 pm

No it is three masts - if you look closely you can see the monkey island railings go behind it.
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby northeast » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Very fast news of her from Leo Colman in Delfzijl ... and with a photo as a bonus.

"It's the 'Fivelstad' - own. H. Borgers, Appingedam and built in 1953 as 'Alice' by Fa. J.G. Broerken Scheepswerf Westerbroek."
fivelstad1953photorealp.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 am

The Picture was taken to celebrate the Reconstruction of the West Quay in 1963.

I could be wrong but I also think it was an "In-House" Job.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby creemaster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Yes Paul correct as always, it was an 'in house' job. Used in the port hand books published in the 1960s.

We advertised in them, I have one which is from the 1950s and we are the only company left trading, even allowing for takeovers.

Graham
creemaster

Postby magoonigal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:03 pm

He's right you know...........
Attachments
Crowe and Atkinson.jpg
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 am

A proud history.
Mind you, a Hull shipbrokers' meeting was once addressed by the owner of the last of the family-owned timber merchants .... he reeled off a list of all those that had been taken over, no doubt with some substantial payments, and lamented "what did we do wrong?" ... all with a rather wicked sense of humour!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby creemaster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Nice one Paul !

Family legend has it that a collier arrived on Christmas Eve having been weather bound off Flambourghor somewhere of similar ilk and had run out of stores so my granddad came home and took the goose out of the oven and took it back to the ship. Do'nt know how big the goose was or how many it was supposed to feed but with e-coli and all the little micro bugs around today enviromental health would have had a field day with temperature controls and monitoring systems !

Oh and we always get one 'well can you cook the turkey for me' when taking Christmas orders and ask 'Is there anything else you would like ?'

Bah Humbug !
creemaster

Return to Blyth