PRIDE OF HULL

Shipping around Hull

Re: PRIDE OF HULL

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:32 am

It's just the way I am Paul, my children still Roll their eyes :roll: at my ' just in case' approach to matters I have battery back up systems for my security lights, cameras and of course the house alarm along with both mains and battery powered smoke detectors, torches placed around the house just in case of power cuts during the hours of darkness which are sure to happen especially this year when we finally break ties with the 'Common Market', you can bet your sweet life the French will start playing silly beggars with the electricity supply we get from them. Being a Yorkshireman the 'belt and braces' approach is always on my mind. Only had one fire onboard ship fortunately we were alongside so the option of having to clamber into a Lifeboat was not an option.
Unlike the WW2 German Airman who crashed on a Runway in Scotland threw the Dinghy out and clambered into it, no torch you see. ;)
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An easy mistake to make especially if it was raining.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:14 am

I am not a Pilot but I understand that is the case Paul, the closest I came was on a flight back from Amsterdam to Newcastle. On landing at Newcastle I looked back (window seat) to see a Fire Engine chasing us. :?
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:00 pm

COOL!

We had to be rescued from a float plane in Alaska when a very large American Gentleman bent the door and we could not take off from the lake we had landed on.

When the rescue plane arrived the Pilot stuck his head out and said "Somebody Call 911" :lol: :lol:

Was great fun getting from one float plane to the other....
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:02 am

Like yourself Paul I have had experience of taking off and landing on water, I was up in Narvik when I had to fly in an an Amphibian to Hell to pick up some parts, the very wet Runway at Narvik runs across sunken vessel's from WW2. An interesting experience to say the least having flown to Hell and Back in a day. A controlled crash on a land runway can be an experience but a controlled crash on a water runway even more so, fortunately there was plenty of water around in the event of fire on landing. :(
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:14 pm

Was in the (spare) co-pilot seat in a hired Cessna once, landing at Esbjerg, the runway was to the left of us, then to the right, fortunately the pilot managed to hit it 'on the swing' in the cross-wind and turned to me and said 'that was hairy, wasn't it'!! They had offered him Copenhagen but he knew our party wanted to be in Esbjerg ... preferably alive, though.
northeast
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Hull and Paull