Cochrane & Sons, Selby (1131) as HENDREN
for the Perihelion Steam Fishing Company (H.G.Crampin), Grimsby
1939 STELLA PEGASI H90
9/39-4/45 served as anti-submarine vessel FY.155
as seen here
STELLAPEGASI1935.jpg

1946 ARCTIC CRUSADER H90
1947 MOUNTBATTEN
Grounded in Rodoysfjord 1/1949, refloated and abandoned to salvors.
Resold to German owners but sank under tow in the Elbe Estuary, 08/03/1951
northeast
Site Admin

Re: STELLA PEGASI (HENDREN) - 1935

Postby patalavaca » Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Greetings to you all, I have just signed up to your website, initially to inform you, that an unexpected pleasure has just appeared, by way of a photograph, that I believe to be the remains of this vessel....here:-
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/pho ... id=1797220

What do you think :?: Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards & thanks,
Rick
patalavaca

Postby northeast » Mon May 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Good evening Rick and welcome to our happy gang!
This does look to be a good possibility, she seems to have had a wreck marker attached to her bow and presumably, if her, has been raised from the Elbe estuary at some more recent date and dumped here in the port.
Perhaps you can contact the photographer to see if he knows more about her?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby patalavaca » Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Good evening George, I wondered if I might find you here. Good to 'see you' again! I hope you are well.
I am unable to find another fishing vessel, or indeed any other vessel of these (approximate) dimensions which bore the name 'Mountbatten'.
From another source, I found this comment on another photo of the wreck:
http://www.maritime-photographie.de/ima ... 8&catid=74

"One wreck in the port of Hamburg is situated in the Köhlbrand. It is the old fishing trawler "Mountbatten", which has been there for over 25 years at the site of the Moorburg coal power station.
According to Hamburg Port Authority (formerly Port and River Engineering) is also not expected in the near future with the removal of wrecks , especially since it is not an obstacle for the waterway. In addition, we have determined that the ship may have grown to a habitat worthy of protection worm species and prohibits a lift for this reason."
The coincidence of both name and fate of the vessel being in the Elbe makes me confident that it is she!
Regards, Rick
patalavaca

Postby northeast » Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 am

Hi Rick, good to see this survivor of the Selby yard is 'alive' if not well. Maybe we should raise funds to bring her home, worms and all!
Sorry that your usual haunts of Felixstowe and the Atlantic islands are a little outside our NE boundaries, but anything else you find from our area will always be welcome.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby TexCrampin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello to whom ever is there!
I have just joined this forum and am delighted at last to have found evidence of one of my Grandfather's (Herbert George Crampin) fishing trawlers from Grimsby. The Mountbatten was originally the Hendren and one of 5 sister ships Leyland, Jardine, Hammond and Larwood. They were all named after famous cricketers with 7 letters as is Crampin. I would like to visit Hamburg and retrieve a small portion of the Hendren for my museum if anyone can help. Derek Lilley has been most helpful in identifying the yard where she is laid up.
Kind Regards
Tex Crampin - Goodwood - England - 07818 420620 - tex@livewarehf.com
pics enclosed
TexCrampin

Return to Shipbuilding at Selby