Spurn - today

Shipping of the Lower Humber

Spurn - today

Postby Whickham » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 pm

I had to go to Hull today on business ("well somebody has to" to quote a well known Hull-Goolie) and finished my meeting early. In the old days I would have gone down to Hull Docks for a few photos, but they have armed gards on the gates these days. So I then remembered seeing all those fine photos posted here, taken from Spurn.

Well I'd never been to Spurn so thought it worth a little trip out. I then had to fork out £4 just to get in there!

I then drove down to the large car park at the end and viewed . . . .nowt as they say up here. Well nearly nowt.

Kess.jpg

At maximum zoom and

Pilot.jpg

Two very expensive photos.

But at least I have been to Spurn now.
Dave
Whickham

Re: Spurn - today

Postby Patrick Hill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Hopefully heading that way this weekend but by water, costs us a bit more than £4 though ;)
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby northeast » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Didn't know the road was open again to the public (or even to Tynesiders) as it was washed away a few months ago and only the pilots were getting down across the sandy part.
If there are ships moving, you need to walk another 10-15 minutes to the very end to get photos of passing vessels (walk via shore or narrow paths through the scrubland down the centre.
Nice on a sunny day!
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks George. Wasn't dressed for too much walking through the scrub but did have a wander round. There was a "road closed" sign shown at the hut where they collect the money, but fortunately a guy came straight over to me. He said the road was open till the next high tide so wanted to know how long I would be. The timing was OK for me as I couldn't stay long. He said the sand had been scraped off the road so it was OK to pass through. When I got to the large car park at the end there were about 10 cars there already. So I guess the road is only partly open.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 am

The motivation of that guy was clearly to get £4 out of the infamous Waller Wallet .... we're a cunning lot down here, bet he had just been down and swept that road when your approach was detected on his GPS (Geordie Passing System).
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am

Don't tell Kevin that the wallet was open. He said he wanted photo proof next time.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Spurn Point is presently an island at High Water, the pilots are getting through between tides with their Land Rover but it's a no-go for anyone else wanting to get down there, and 'road' such as it is will not be reinstated before the Spring (report from Steve the pilot).
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 am

Following the December storm surge, Spurn is now a permanent island at high water ... it seems increasingly unlikely that the road way will be re-instated
The former road floods at a 6.0m tide.
This radar view was captured yesterday by pilot Steve.
SPURN_04_JAN_2014_Copy_.jpg
Photo by Steve, Humber Pilot
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Return to Grimsby, Spurn and Tetney