SOLI DEO GLORIA - trawler (and confusion!)

From South Gare to Stockton

Re: Soli Deo Gloria

Postby cromptony » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 pm

sdg.tif
sdg.tif (287.5 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Thought I recognised the name, but not the ship.

There was a trawler of this name that used to run into Tees Dock and
unload fish into freezer lorries (possibly the late 1980's.)

The skipper (with an almost impossible to understand scotch accent) often
was in trouble with the Harbour Office for speeding. Once
passing the Gare he damaged our cutter lying alongside Govt Jetty
with the wash.

Tony
cromptony

Postby teesships » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 pm

I managed to view Tony's photo by right clicking on the box and then selecting view image. But why does it not appear direct, or even as a thumbnail. Suspect because in .tif format???

Ron
teesships

Postby cromptony » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Yes Ron it is in TIF format. Found the Pic by "Googling"
the name, then opening images. Will try again and see
if I can find a JPEG pic. Sorry if "I did it wrong" !!

Watch this space.

Tony
cromptony

Postby cromptony » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:09 pm

1599402.jpg

Is this better? (found by "Googling")

Tony
cromptony

Postby CLYDEBRAE » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 pm

PD-63 was under the management of Osprey Trawlers, Peterhead, although owned by the De Boer's of Urk. Notionally they had a Scottish skipper but once alongside he would be down the hold landing the fish and one of the De Boer's on board was definitely the boss. As far as I recall Peterhead registry was a way of getting round quotas, and each vessel in the fleet had to commit to 6 or 7 UK landings per year (from memory). Urk, by tradition, has strong presbyterian roots and these vessels were no exception. They arrived and discharged either late on a Friday or early hours of Saturday. All the fish was landed to truck which headed off to the Dutch fish markets. The crew went home, up North to Scotland or across to Amsterdam from Teesside Airport, and returned on a Monday morning. No-one, other than in the most urgent of circumstances, was allowed to set foot aboard on a Sunday. They berthed and discharged in Middlesbrough Dock, in the days of Cleveland Wharves. Their watchman was given a "little extra" to keep an eye on things, as they were unmanned over the weekend. As agents, we had a key, in case of emergency or if access on board was required for repairs. Strictly restricted to Saturdays or Mondays. Bill Walker's son was one of the "skippers". He went on to become a Virgin Atlantic pilot - don't know if his accent is any better!
CLYDEBRAE

SOLI DEO GLORIA - trawler (and confusion!)

Postby teesships » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Starting a new topic re this trawler, and will transfer the other postings to this one.

Tony,
I've found the source of your .tif image at: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/pho ... id=1112657
However, I see this refers to the trawler with IMO 8701428. I note she was built in 1988 as CORNELIA J and did not become SOLI DEO GLORIA (possibly suffix II?) until 2004, so not the one that was in the Tees 20 odd years ago.

Nor is she the one showing on my TEESSHIPS website at: http://teesships.co.uk/flushing2009/days/day2/023.htm. To update the caption on that one, when I tracked her down I now have that CORNELIS JANNETJE detailed as: CORNELIS JANNETJE (GO-23 trawler) 366gt, built 1989 - internet: (8817394) completed Foxhol/Stellendam 7-1989 1989 SOLI DEO GLORIA - 2003 CORNELIS JANNETJE (not the same one as in LR 2005?)

I'm saying she also is not that one even though her existence as SOLI DEO GLORIA overlaps the appearance of another trawler of the same name in Middlesbrough Dock (Cleveland Wharves) during 1991. That one I identified and recorded at the time as being IMO: 8008187, 397gt, completed Bolnes 3-1981, and serving as such until renamed ANDREA in 2005.

I looked for my black and white negatives of her in Middlesbrough Dock but, sad to say, they must be among the many films still lying uncut in my archives from 20 years back!!!!!! However, I'm fairly sure Mick will have seen her as well, so over to him for a photo ....?

See what I mean about considerable scope for confusion, so many Dutch vessels of the same name at the same time.

Ron
teesships

Re: SOLI DEO GLORIA - trawler (and confusion!)

Postby teesships » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:07 pm

The 1981-built SOLI DEO GLORIA can be seen as ANDREA at: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/pho ... lid=914564
and other pages of shipspotting.com

Ron
teesships

Postby wreckmaster » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:43 pm

teesships wrote: However, I'm fairly sure Mick will have seen her as well, so over to him for a photo ....?
Ron
Is there another Mick onboard ? .
The only Dutch Trawlers I ever came in to contact with were those caught fishing illegally off the Irish Coast in that case I would have spent a night on her Bridge.
Also converted the TIF image, the forum allows for TIF images , not sure why we can not see it.
Attachments
sdg-1.jpg
wreckmaster

Postby teesships » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Aye, WRECKMASTER Mick, I was referring to TEESMAN Mick! Just to justify the (and confusion!) part of the header!!

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:14 pm

I have PD63 as the 1991 vessel mentioned by Ron and owned/managed by Osprey Trawlers, saw her at Harlingen in 2003 but alas no photo to corroborate it, they are so packed in there (especially on a weekend as Clydebrae comments) that you can't always get a decent photo.
My understanding of the flag rules was that they only have to call in a UK port a small number of times each year, not even have to land fish, so they can call in and go to the pub or the cinema then out again and still share the UK quota.
northeast
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Tees