GREATFORD

GREATFORD

Postby brianh » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51 am

The seaward defence boat Greatford at Hartlepool on 24 June 1961 - the Ford class were the most modern of the vessels laid up there and were moved elsewhere rather than going to the breakers as dis most of the others.

Resize of Greatford 24061961 53.jpg
brianh

Re: GREATFORD

Postby Nighttrucker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Fantastic set of golden oldies Brian. This shot of GREATFORD is she berthed where Hartlepool Historic ships museum is today ? looks very familiar to me.
Regards
Dave
Nighttrucker

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Nighttrucker - it is in the same area as the Historic Quay and Maritime Museum.

HMS Trincomalee is just a bit further up to the right along with the PSS Wingfield Castle.

The building on the extreme left, with the tower showing, is the old Docks Office in Victoria Terrace - now a Grade II listed building.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby magoonigal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Got you! Your looking on to what is now Maritime Avenue with the Wingfield to the Right and the Premier Inn to the left........
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Nighttrucker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:27 pm

I thought it looked familiar Thanks Guys
Dave
Nighttrucker

Postby Whickham » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Well, being an old West Hartlepudlian I thought, yes I know that clock tower, its the old Harbour Office or Police Station down on Mainsforth Terrace (but I was wrong and its called Victoria Terrace, near Mainsforth Terrace). So I looked on Google Street View and was surprised to see that the clock tower is slightly different. See below.

Clock Tower.jpg
Photo copyright of Google

But I am sure you are right and it is the Harbour Office, so then it must have been slightly altered in the last 50 years.

The row of buildings in the photo is approximately where the puddle is (to the right of the blue car) in the following photo I guess.

Maritime Ave.jpg
Photo copyright of Google

Or have I got it all wrong?
Dave
Whickham

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:39 am

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-433121-old-dock-offices-and-rear-wings-/photos

Yes Whickham, you are right. Those old buildings would have been near the puddle to the right of the blue car.

I have a photograph of the Old Dock Office towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.stanlaundon.com/hartlepool.html
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby Whickham » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks Stan, looks as though the cupola was raised in height at some stage.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:44 am

Like other members on this Site I wandered in wonderment around the Reserve Fleet in the early 1950's, I can't ever remember being chased by 'Security'. The 'Ford' Class certainly caught my eye as I thought they were a superb looking vessel looking like a 'Pocket Size' Destroyer, it is my understanding that they were built to take the Deltic Engine on the Wing shafts but due to development problems with the Deltic they fitted the Paxman engines instead which was the same situation as the early 'Tons' only they were fitted with Mirrlees main engines and then retrofitted with Deltics at a later date. It is a pity that that none of the 'Fords' were retrofitted with the Deltics as they would have cut a fine sight with that superb Bow.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:08 am

GREATFORD "09/1967 sold for breaking at Singapore" suggests she was deployed to the Far East after her sojourn at West Hartlepool?
northeast
Site Admin

Next

Return to Hartlepool Reserve Fleet