In or Out. Which way about ?

Enquiries about using the forum

In or Out. Which way about ?

Postby E28 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 pm

What on earth is this referring to ?

Traditionally all vessels enter a dock, especially a dry or floating dock sharp end first.
The shapes of many are designed for this method of entry.
So, why would a ship enter either dock types blunt end first, unless she be so seriously damaged as the option to go stern in first is essential.
I have come across this once only in the huge No 2 dry dock Rosyth.
There must be numerous other instances.

Come on you lot. Answers here please or send me a postcard with such illustrated. Second class will be sufficient.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Re: In or Out. Which way about ?

Postby Whickham » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am

An interesting question and these are my thoughts (for what they are worth):
a) I can see no reason why a dry dock should have a pointy end, other than it reduces the amount of material to excavate.
b) Floating docks generally, but not always, do not have a pointy end.
c) Given that a pointy end exists in the dock then it is logical to put the ship in the same way, especially if length is critical.
d) I don't believe it is any easier to put a ship into dock, bow first rather than stern first, other than those rare occasions where the ship's propeller is turning.
e) So the reason for going in stern first must be to do with something like access to damage, like on a bow for instance, in a pointy ended dock.
f) Then there's dock facilities, such as access to an existing hole in the dock floor for dropping components out or positioning things like sonar domes.
g) The only other reason I can think of is then dock side facilities, the reach of a particular crane or access to a particular workshop.
Anything else????
Dave
Whickham

Postby Whickham » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 am

The only examples on NEM of a stern first docking that I can see (from a very quick scan) are:

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=10517&p=43196#p43196

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=697&p=1487#p1487

But there could well be others.
Dave
Whickham

Postby E28 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks for the replies Dave, all the points you mentioned are valid and concur with some i had in mind.
Ironic though your top attachment in last post shows the very dock occupied by HMS Ashanti in 1940-41, and clearly shown in the HMS Erne & HMS Ashanti thread. Additionally it shows the non existent space between that dock and one to the right, which i had also pointed out.
Last edited by E28 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Postby E28 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for the replies Dave, all the points you mentioned are valid and concur with some i had in mind.
Ironic though your top attachment in your second post shows the very dock occupied by HMS Ashanti in 1940-41, and clearly shown in the HMS Erne & HMS Ashanti thread. Additionally it shows the non existent space between that dock and one to the right, which i had also pointed out.
Again, congratulations, it must have taken you ages to find a ship blunt end in first.

The only examples on NEM of a stern first docking that I can see (from a very quick scan) are:

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=10517&p=43196#p43196
Last edited by E28 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Postby Patrick Hill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Tarquence and Crescence stern to stern in drydock at Hull

tarqcres.jpg
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Whickham » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 am

To continue my list above:
h) Ship surgery. If the bow is to be removed and taken out of dock then it makes sense for the ship go in stern first.

This photo shows the CADILLAC built by Palmers in 1917. She had her cargo tanks renewed at Palmers in 1930.
Docked stern first and bow cut off and removed for safe keeping. Tank length then removed and broken up.
Photo shows the bow section being taken away.

Cadillac-1917.jpg

The new cargo tank length was then floated into the dock and re-attached and then finally the bow was replaced.
The photo below shows the finished article about to come out of dock.

Cadillac8-1917.jpg
Photo copyright of South Tyneside Council
Dave
Whickham

Return to General User Information