NORTH EAST MARINE ENGINE BUILDERS

Re: NORTH EAST MARINE ENGINE BUILDERS

Postby fitter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Brown Curtis turbines built under licence by Doxfords for their twin screw Torpedo Boat Destroyers.
I THINK Curtis were an American design and John Brown had a Licence to build them and Doxfords built these, under licence from John Brown.
Brown Curtis turbines.JPG
fitter

Postby fitter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Doxford J4 top platform, don't know which one. It was one of the last because the transverse beams seen here are those designed for the Seahorse engine that was never built commercially but the design of some of its components were applied in the 58JS3 engines like the one at Beamish.
J4 ENGINE 2.JPG
fitter

Postby fitter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Cammell Lairds ????
cammell lairds.JPG

Merry Christmas
fitter

Postby Whickham » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm

As far as I am aware Armstrong Whitworth were unique among the major Tyneside shipbuilders of the 1920-30s in that they didn't have their own engine building facility. Lloyds register often cites the engine builder of their ships as Armstrong, Whitworth & Co (Engineers) Ltd, however I suspect they were just the installers of bought in engines.
I came across this Armstrong Whitworth & Co Ltd publicity photograph on the web of an Armstrong-Sulzer 6S60 engine (delivering 2,250hp at 114rpm).
I presume that it is really just a Sulzer as opposed to say a Hawthorn Doxford that would have been built by Hawthorn under licence from Doxford.
But I may be wrong.

Armstrong Sulzer.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby fitter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:52 pm

SECTIONS THROUGH DOXFORD J TYPE ENGINES
DOXFORD J TYPE ELEVATION.JPG

DOXFORD J TYPE ENGINE SECTION (2).JPG

DOXFORD J TYPE RUNNING GEAR.JPG
fitter

Postby fitter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Doxford P type engine running gear. All P type engines were 670mm bore.
RUNNING GEAR P.JPG

Doxford P type engine Centre Crosshead
CENTRE CROSS HEAD P.JPG

Doxford P type engine Side Crosshead
SIDE CROSSHEAD P.JPG
fitter

Doxford engines built in USA

Postby northeast » Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Just got this link via Sea The Ships website, list of Doxfords built during WW2 by Sun Shipbuilding under licence.

http://www.dieselduck.info/historical/0 ... 20list.pdf
northeast
Site Admin

Re: Doxford engines built in USA

Postby fitter » Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm

posted this in North East Engine Marine builders which should have been North East Marine Engine Builders and I would be pleased if you could correct it!
Whilst this isn't directly to do with the North East, it is a result of Doxfords design. Henry Ford , (Ford Motor CO, had two great Lakes bulk carriers built in the very early 1920s by Sun Shipbuilding and D.D. Pennsylvania, (Henry Ford 2 and Benson Ford, named after his grandsons). Sun were one of the first Doxford licencees, if not the first. He was so pleased with them that he had a twin bank Doxford built for a 1914 Pusey and Jones built, steam turbine yacht, Sialia. It was the only one ever built and epitomised Ford's progressive approach to everything. It was a twin bank, four cylinder, which I think should just be called an eight cylinder, with aluminium frames, driving two propellers. He had the yacht lengthened by 21 ft, but the design never lived up to its expectations and he reverted to vacations on the Lakes in one or other of the bulk carriers. When on board he had the Sialia pennant raised. The Sialia was commissioned twice by the American navy before being sold. One of the bulkers had its fore end accommodation removed and made into a lakeside home and is still there today.
I have a couple of photos of the all aluminium twin bank Doxford that Henry Ford specified for his Yacht conversion.
fitter

Re: Doxford engines built in USA

Postby fitter » Mon May 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Picture of the twin bank engine is on post of March 2013

See: viewtopic.php?f=174&t=9338&p=54055#p54055
fitter

Postby fitter » Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Sir James Laing's "Troutbank" 1979 with a Doxford 76J4C engine on the other end of the shaft. I wonder how many, like me, would love to be back doing that work with men that we took for granted but, looking back, were the salt of the earth?
907 troutbank sjl 1979.jpg
fitter

PreviousNext

Return to Doxford / Pallion