Goole craft

Shipping of Goole

Re: Goole craft

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:27 am

G.M. N.E. thank you for the info, my Uncle Gordon did buy her after the War, from information received she was released by the M.O.W.T. around 1947, he rebuilt her and kept her until 1955. It would be a pity if she is scrapped as she is an Historic Boat with War Service with the Goole Fire Brigade. She also has a place in the Whitby Lifeboat history records, if you go into the Lifeboat Museum at Whitby you will see her name with two other vessel's on the Incident Boards when they had to be assisted in to the tricky harbour entrance in bad weather on the 21st Sept 1952.
When I last saw her in Hull Marina she was owned by a chap who was in the Garage business and I had met before when he co-owned an ex R.A.F. Seaplane Tender called Pembroke Puffin,I think it was he who changed her name to John H Vincent, but she had a few other names before that since being called Lady Margaret.
I wonder if the Goole Fire Brigade realised that they once had her under their command.
Hornbeam

Postby Patrick Hill » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:38 pm

John H Vincent has sunk today at the Dog and Duck moorings.
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby northeast » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Pity but perhaps not unexpected, given her history and ownership!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:42 pm

What a shame, although she has sunk before when my Uncle forgot to put the plug in after she had been on the Slips behind Thornaby Place on the Tees, it is still possible that she could be recovered and brought back to life, she is Historic being an ex RN Rowing Pinnace from around the First World War, hopefully someone will take her on as a project.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 pm

Yours for a few bob, Ron :)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 pm

N.E. Memories of the late 1940's/1950's when the Winters were really bad with Snow over the top of your Wellies but the Summers were great, sailing in Convoy along the Coast down to Whitby on the Saturday, Fish And Chips and then on to Scarborough on the Sunday for the start of the School Holidays, depending on the Tides. Out in our Dinghy doing a bit of fishing, great days and very happy memories. Uncle Gordon spent a lot of money on the boat which is most probably why she has lasted so long. When I saw her at Hull Marina she was still the same as I remember her barring for a change of engines. I had hoped to get down your way to see her but of course the 'Rules of Boris' meant "We are not going Out".
Although it was my Uncles boat George if I had the time and money there is only one boat I would love to have refurbished and you know which one that is don't you ;)
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm

JHV has been 'raised from the depths' today and lifted out of the water by the hoist at the Viking Marina ... a Twitter posting suggests 'lifted out for the last time' and also quotes that she was built at Eyemouth.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:04 am

Thanks for the further info N.E. She was built as I understand it as a 42ft Pulling/Sailing Sailing Boat for the R.N. around a hundred years ago, interesting that her Builder is thought to be from Eyemouth as her Builder was unknown as far as I remember and is down as unknown in Lloyds Registers. She will have a number chiselled either on the inside of her 'Wine Glass' transom or her Stem-post. Looks like she has come to the end and the decision has been made to scrap her unless?
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:27 am

Well, if you want to save her better get your skates on and head for Goole, Ron!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:19 am

She is getting on in years and I suspect her bottom planking will be well ripe by now you can only put so many Tingles on a wooden boat :D , its a pity that Goole Fire Brigade could not save her . After I have had my second injection next week I will have to as you say get down there before the chainsaw massacre takes place. :o Ron@?
Hornbeam

PreviousNext

Return to Goole